95 SE - CV Axle Question

The last time I visited the dealer to clear my check engine light, the diagnosis was a failed O2 sensor. During this visit I had O2 sensor replaced and I was also advised that both my front CV axles need to be replaced. The dealer quoted a total cost for the CV Joint work of $640.

I visited a few auto repair shops and got quotes in the range of $300 to $350 to replace both CV axle assemblies. Does anyone have any advice or experience with after market replacement parts or (remanufactured OEM) CV Axle Parts.

I purchased my 1995 SE (w/ manual trans) new and plan on keeping it for at least another 2-3 years. It runs great and currently has about 155 K miles on it.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Reply to
R King

Put the cheap ones on...

Reply to
Rex

Get remanufactured ones that have a lifetime warrantee. The labor should be 1-1 1/2 hours. As stated earlier, you may as well get new axles seals--sometimes they get damaged taking the axles out anyways. If you want quality axles, see

CW

Also, make sure your grease seals in the the transmission housing are in good shape. This could be a source for slow, seaping leaks if the new axles are just a few thousandths smaller or the seal is worn.

Chris

90 & 94 GXE's
Reply to
Chris H