96 Maxima SE car sputters at 2000 rpm

Car starts fine, idols fine, and runs fine EXCEPT when I drive over 2000 rpm's. If I accelerate slowly all is ok until I reach 60+ mph (2000 rpm). If I accelerate quickly it shifts gears until I hit 2000 rpm's. Both cases the car sputters and I have to decelerate. I thinking it is the fuel pump, but again the problem is only at 2000 rpm. Any ideas?

Reply to
Nottingham

Seems I have heard that could be the mass airflow sensor. Good Luck Ask NissTech or Steve with atlanta racing

Reply to
Bitsbucket

One time I drove away with my MAF unplugged and it had similar symptoms. But a failing MAF sensor might be different. Any CEL codes?

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

No CEL codes

Reply to
Nottingham

No CEL codes

Reply to
Nottingham

Try replacing the pressurized gas cap. Get the correct one - mine said "pre-vented." Made my 92 SE stop all that rough running immediately. See my post from today 9/6/2004 at 12:23 AM called "Mystery Solved"

Reply to
NetComputerGuy

Does your CEL light up and go away properly when you start the car?

CD

Reply to
Codifus

Yes, they light up when I'm starting the car, but they go off as normal

Reply to
Nottingham

Jeff, I don't think it's the gas cap, though that's where I think the problem started. I filled up with gas and left the gas cap off. I rode about two miles and noticed the open gas compartment door. I pulled over and put the gas cap on while the car was running. I now still have the vaccum sound when I open the gas cap, but car still sputters at 2000 rpm's and car will not go over 60 mph. I have no warning lights and I still get 400 miles on a tank of gas (not leaking gas. Any other idea's?

Reply to
Nottingham

replying to Nottingham, Ruben wrote: I have a 2000 maxima the car either willbidle but a little high or it wont idle and sputter at 2000 rpms usually once its warmed up . ive changed plugs and coils cleaned iac and maf i have a maf code still

Reply to
Ruben