96 Maxima Speedometer "sometimes" stays at zero

Hello all, My 96 Maxima speedometer does not work "sometimes", especially when the car is "cold".

I have done some homework and browsed several postings regarding speedometer not working. Most of the more detailed replies are pointing to the Speed Sensor being popped out and just need to be pushed back in. Several people had the same problem occurring from 1.5 to 2 years interval and repeat such step will resolve the problem. Some descriptions on broom stick thickness like thing with 2 wires coming out...

Now, can you gentlemen tell me in more detail where exactly is the "speed sensor"? Is there a way to post a JPG image of the location? Or can someone send me a photograph of the location? Or better yet, can I send someone a JPG picture of my Maxima engine compartment and have you experts point out where it is?

some people say it is right near oil filter/firewall(??). Some people sounded like it is just open the hood and push some plastic from the top view of the engine compartment. "transmission", "gear box" dont mean anything unless there is a picture. Sorry....

Some posting sounded like that there is no need to go beneith the car, laying on the ground, and look up towards the bottom of the car?

So where is it?? Please help...

Thanks a whole bunch....

Reply to
DianeLee

The speed sensor is located on the top of the differential housing. If you look at your starter, then the speed sensor is towards the firewall and is a plastic, somewhat cylindrical shaped object with a harness connector.

Reply to
Steve Manifold