97 Maxima Coolant Temp. Sensor

The Max. had another problem with rough starting this morning. First turnover of the day and when I come out from work the Max. turns over without a problem.

Possible Coolant Temperature Sensor?

According to the Hanes manual the coolant sensor is located next to the temperature sending unit in line with the TOP hose to the radiator. I have some questions that I hope someone can help with:

1) Is there a way to test the COOLANT temp. sensor? 2) Is the COOLANT temp. sensor the sensor with the TWO spade connectors on it? 3) Will the COOLANT Temp. Sensor cause ROUGH starts yet the engine still turns over? 4) If/when I replace this device is there anything particular that I should do to the sensor before/during and after replacing it?

I think I'm going to change it. If it's the sensor I think it is, it really doesn't look that difficult to change. Just want to fix this problem. Drove me crazy towards the end of the winter and the problem appears to have re-surfaced again. Had no starting problems all summer.

TIA, Paul

Reply to
paulf