97 Maxima GLE Wont Start !?!?!

I have a maxima GLE 97 with 88k miles. Its almost in mint condition. The other day I went to start my car and it wouldnt start. Engine doesnt crank, but lights, alarm, windows, keyless, stereo all work. Attempted battery charge had no effect. Wont start in either neutral or park. Headlights dont dim when attempt to start. All connections to battery are fine, all clean and tight. Is this a starter - solenoid problem? Is the starter-solenoid one unit in the Maxima or seperate? Where is solenoid and starter located on engine?? I couldnt find it - are they under air ducts? Someone help - dont want to take it to Nissan dealership - overcharge like crazy and embellish problems.

Reply to
Haris

I have a '99 SE and I do all the work on it myself. A great way to get to know your vehicle is to purchase a copy of the Haynes Repair Manual $20 cdn. STUDY IT FROM FRONT TO BACK. It has great pictures and step by step procedures. Section 5-13 tells you how to perform a starter motor and circuit check. There is also a section on removal and installation for both starter and solenoid. The starter/solenoid is bolted to the transaxle bellhousing. Good Luck

Reply to
PathfinderHero

Here's an old post I kept for reference, it may help. Orignal poster: Daniel B Martin..

----------------------------------------------------------------- You are reporting an intermittent no-crank problem.

Always do the easy check first. If your vehicle is a 5-speed, make sure the clutch pedal is all the way down when you twist the key to START. If automatic, jiggle the shifter while attempting to crank. Try cranking in both Park and Neutral. If those steps are unsuccessful, consider ...

- discharged battery (dim headlights with engine off)

- weak battery (check voltage at terminals while cranking)

- loose or dirty battery terminal connections at the battery

- loose or dirty battery-to-body ground connection

- loose or dirty battery-to-engine block connection

- bad ignition switch

- bad clutch safety switch (5-speed)

- bad neutral safety switch (automatic)

- bad inhibitor relay

- bad solenoid

- bad starter

Al Moodie.

Reply to
Al Moodie

On Thu, 20 May 2004 21:32:06 -0500, Haris wrote (in message ):

I have a 97 SE that did the same thing and it turned out to be the ignition switch. An easy fix that cost around $50 for the part and 15 minutes of time.

Reply to
Bryan Jones