97 Maxima overheats when idle

Hi,

The temp goes down when driving, however when I let it idle the temp gauge eventually goes up. I've only tried the car with the air condition on, so I can't verify that the problem exist when the AC is off.

I've replaced the radiator cap, flush the radiator system and thought about replacing the thermostat, however it would be pointless if that doesn't resolve my issue.

Another thing, the car seems to lose heat when idle. When running heat is fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Reply to
W. Wallace

Sounds very much like waterpump failure to me.

Reply to
Microstar

I guess I am loosing coolant from the overflow resevoir. Since filling it to the fill line would last until the next temp incident. Otherwise the coolant in the radiator cap area seems fine. I'm thinking it's the fan for the AC unit, but I'll have to test to see if it'll overheat with the ac off. It's just a pain to try this when the temp is HOT outside.

I still get heat even when overheating (it brings down the temp), however I lose heat when idle. I was told by the dealer that the cooling system needed to be bleed. Which I have done so, but have not verified if the problem still exist.

Yes turning up the heat does bring the temp down. Driving the car will eventually bring down the temp. gauge as well.

Reply to
W. Wallace