97 Maxima Problem

I have a 97 Maxima GLE. Recently my check engine light came on. I took it to Autozone and they said the Knoc Sensor was showing up ( i have read on here that does not happen). About 2 weeks later the car (while accelerating) somewhat died. I still had electrically power and the moter was running. When i gave it gas it did nothing. The power steering went out too. I would have to wait about

15-20 mins for it to turn over to drive it. I later took it to a Import Service place that I know and trust. They said it was a Cam sensor and they recommended going to Nissan Dealer. Nissan replaced a Harness that was worn out (cut). It did the same thing again. I took it back they replaced the Cam sensor. It did it again. I took it back and they kept it for 2 days drving it around different times of the day and different areas (dirt road, in town, highway, etc). They could not every get it to do what it did to me. I have it back and am nervous about driving it. No codes come up now on their computer. ANy suggestions? Need more info?

Thanks Erik

Actually looking back at my service receipt the description of the problem what they did says Cam Sensor. But i was charged for a Crankshaft postion Sensor. Are they the same?

Reply to
97maximadriver

Yes, they are the same. I had the same problem on my 97 SE two years ago. It would be driving along fine and then just quit. It wouldn't start until it sat for half an hour or more and even then you had MINUTES to get it somewhere or it happened again. That problem then was my cam/crank position sensor..

Reply to
Pooty Lizard

No, they are not the same. However they are very similar and create similar symptoms. I expect the cost is also very much alike - and chalk up the mixup in discussions vs. final billing to someone's best guess diagnosis vs. the final result.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman