97 Maxima SE - fuel injector cleaner

Hello --

A friend who is good mechanic (on his Hondas and Jaguars) suggested I use injector cleaner. The manual says not to, if I read it correctly.

Can any of you folks give me advice on whether to do it or not, and what brand, if any, is the best to use.

Car has 42,000 miles, and runs OK. Mileage is approx 20 mpg.

Thank you for any information.

Larry Mehl

Reply to
L Mehl

You *can* use fuel injector cleaner (techron), but why if it's running fine? My '97 has 133K, has never seen injector cleaner, and runs great. You are using at least 90 octane gas, right?

Reply to
Jim

I say don't do it. Run the car on the highway real hard should clean out your injectors. That's what I do:) My wife has an Altima which she doesn't drive hard. After a while it's idle gets a bit shaky and the exhaust manifold gets loose, making the car sound a bit cheesy. I take it for a highway blast, BOTH problems solved:)

CD

Reply to
Codifus

Jim and Codifus --

Thank you for the advice. It makes sense.

Larry

Reply to
L Mehl