97 maxima SE instrument cluster lights are out

Hi guys,

I just purchased a 97 maxima SE and am having two issues with it:

1) the instrument cluster lights won't come on... would any of you by any chance know where i could start troubleshooting? (kind of difficult riding blind in the night) 2) when starting the car, it makes a weird buzzing sound for a few seconds after it starts, almost like the one you hear when you turn the ignition key after the car is already running... starter going bad?

Please let me know what your thoughts are...

Thansk much.

Reeves

Reply to
reevesealex

I have a '97 SE, and it has the same starter problem. The cause is that the small pinion gear on the starter motor shaft does not retract when the flywheel ring gear spins faster after the engine starts. The pinion gear is caused to spin faster than it otherwise would spin if it properly disengaged. It doesn't disengage because the spiral spline inside the pinion has too much friction - and that may be due to several causes, for example, binding due to wear, rust, lack of lubrication, or the retractor spring is broken.

My mechanic, Mienecke Mufflers of Edison, NJ,in this case, said that the cost of replacing the entire starter motor is less than a repair of the parts. Its a low cost swap and takes 1/2 hour. Get a quotation from them. Then you have new.

In the mean time start the engine in the prescribed way and get off the accelerator immediately upon the engine firing up. Don't spin the engine fast. Let the pinion disengage. Then drive normally. That will give you x number of extra starts prior to the pinion gear or spring breaking. At which time you need to call AAA.

Ralph Hertle

Reply to
Ralph Hertle