'97 nissan maxima

I have a 1997 maxima.... last year my alternator started on fire... just by coincidence, I was talking to another '97 maxima owner and he said his alternator started on fire . Is this a common problem and if so is there a hidden (or otherwise) warranty to cover it.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks Phred

Reply to
Kerry Dyer

R E C A L L

Call your dealer with the VIN number of your Maxima and you might be surprised ;)

Cheers, Nirav

Reply to
njmodi

I am sure the 99 Maxima's were also involved with the alternator recall of the

98s My 98 had it's alternator replaced at no charge by Nissan when the recall first came out.
Reply to
RoadofResistance

FYI:

1997-1998 Maxima Alternator Replacement Applies to 1997 Maxima, the following Vehicle Identification Number Ranges: JN1CA21D*VT218136 - 222389; JN1CA21D*VT847525 - 877868; JN1CA21D*VM518869 - 540253. Applies to 1998 Maxima, the following Vehicle Identification Number Ranges: JN1CA21A*WT300201 - 405210; JN1CA21D*WT500001 - 615203; JN1CA21A*WM800002 - 806538; JN1CA21D*WM900001 - 923624. Please be aware that not all VINs within these ranges may be affected by this campaign.

The number of vehicles potentially affected is approximately 140,000. Please review the disclaimer located at the bottom of this page for more information.

Reason for Recall On some 1997 and 1998 Nissan Maxima vehicles, there is a possibility that the alternator may contain a damaged diode. This could eventually result in an electrical short which may cause a fire in the alternator that could spread to the engine compartment.

What Nissan Will Do In order to prevent this condition from occurring, your Nissan dealer will inspect and, if necessary, replace the alternator. This free service should take about two hours to complete, but your Nissan dealer may require your vehicle for a longer period of time based upon their work schedule.

What You Should Do Contact your Nissan dealer at your earliest convenience in order to arrange an appointment to have your vehicle repaired. Instructions have been sent to your Nissan dealer.

If the dealer fails, or is unable to make the necessary repairs free of charge, you may contact the National Consumer Affairs Office, Nissan North America, Inc. at P.O. Box 191, Gardena, California 90248-0191. The toll free number is 1-800-NISSAN1 (1-800-647-7261).

If you have paid to have your alternator replaced prior to this campaign, you may be eligible for reimbursement of the related expense. You will still need to contact your Nissan dealer to arrange an appointment to have your vehicle inspected. Click here for Additional Reimbursement Information

You may also contact the Administrator of the National Highway Traffic SafetyAdministration, 400 Seventh Street, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20590 or call the toll-free Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236.

Reply to
njmodi

Go here:

Justin Sane