97 SE Oil or Transmission Leak

Recently took my 97 SE(Stick)for an oil change @ Jiffy Lube and notice they put 4.25 quarts of oil in it. It was approximately 1 month before I noticed the dipstick was overfilled. When I did I had to drain it twice to get it near the full level. Normally I change my own oil and 4 quarts fills it exactly. The thing I fear I believe has happened: I have some type of oil leak now coming from above the oil pan that leaves a small puddle after the car has been driven. I can't determine where the leak is eminating from as I don't have a lift to properly examine it. Is it an oil seal. The Jiffy lube guys tried to tell me my dipstick was inaccurate. Where does there computer come up with 4.25 Quarts? when I need only 4. Any advice? Also I don't notice the oil missing from the dipstick with the leak. Is it possible it's a transmission leak or something else? Thanks.

Reply to
SERider

1/4 of a quart isn't going to make something start leaking. A whole quart over filled isn't going to make anything start leaking.

That or the front timing cover, both are comon leak points.

Easily could be, or power steering etc etc. BTW it takes a pretty massive leak to show on the stick over a short period of time.

Reply to
Steve T

I believe the Maxima owner's manual says to fill 4.25 quarts of oil when the filter is replaced, and 4 quarts when the filter is not replaced....

Nirav

96 Max GLE, 110k
Reply to
Nirav J. Modi

It has been my finding the first time I took my 89 Maxima to a dealer they put about 5 qts and it caused a problem. So I just started changing my own oil and filters. My 98 Maxima has the filter behind the right front wheel and requires a little more work to do the same oil and filter change. But as long as I can crawl around I will never let another dealer or quicklub change my oil.

Reply to
View from Space

Turns out to be an oil pan gasket/oil switch leak. $100 bucks but no more leak!

Reply to
SERider