98 Bose System Problem

I have a 98 Nissan Maxima SE with the Bose sound system in it. Recently, I've been having problems. At first, it would be playing sound through all speakers and after I'd go over a bump, it would for some reason just play through one speaker. I would then just move the volume knob a little bit and it would start playing through all of the speakers again.

Now, however, it ONLY plays through one speaker (the lower speaker on the driver's door). If I put my ear right up to the lower speaker on the passenger door, I can hear a little bass but not much. I have recently noticed that when I turn on my headlights, the display does not dim and the lights behind the buttons do not come on. Also, the balance and fade knobs have no control anymore of where the sound comes out of - only that one speaker. I took out the system and made sure all of the wires were in securely and nothing was frayed, and it all looked ok. Any ideas?

Reply to
dannysm213

Does this only happen when you are playing CDs?

Now, however, it ONLY plays through one speaker (the lower speaker on the driver's door). If I put my ear right up to the lower speaker on the passenger door, I can hear a little bass but not much. I have recently noticed that when I turn on my headlights, the display does not dim and the lights behind the buttons do not come on. Also, the balance and fade knobs have no control anymore of where the sound comes out of - only that one speaker. I took out the system and made sure all of the wires were in securely and nothing was frayed, and it all looked ok. Any ideas?

Reply to
Randy

No, this happens with any function -- Radio, CD, and Tape.

Reply to
dannysm213

Reply to
john smith

The Bose system has a relay that turns on all the amps for each speaker. In the front passenger seat, it's behind the the panel by the passenger's right foot. If you listen carefully when you power on your Bose, you'll hear a click in that direction. That's the relay. Because you can hear faint sound from the otherwise non-functional speakers, that tells me your trouble lies with the amplifiers. Your head unit is probably OK. I would check that relay and go from there to the amplifiers.

HTH

CD

Reply to
Codifus