98 GXE - high-pitched whine in cab - WTF??

To add to my car's wierdness of the past few weeks, I get home this afternoon from work and park the car. After I turn off the engine, I notice a high-pitched whine. I try to listen, but not much comes to mind.

An hour or so later, my wife takes the car out to go to the store. She comes back and reports an extremely high pitched whine notible while driving.

Just now (five hours after arriving home) I go out and check the car. The whine is still there. It sounds like someone rubbing a wet er along the rim of an almost full wine glass.

Any ideas? Nothing seems to be on. I flipped all known switches and nothing helped. I do notice it more in the front than the rear, but can't determine exactly where.

We'll see if the battery is drained in the morning. (Go figure, as my wife left the lights of the minivan on all night and I had to jump it this afternoon after I got home.)

Reply to
filesiteguy

Next time try removing the gas cap and see if it stops.

Reply to
JimV

I assumed that wasn't a joke and tried it.

Unscrewed gas cap - whine continued. Started car - whine continued. Stopped car - whine continued. Put gas cap back on - whine continues.

Reply to
filesiteguy

Reply to
JimV

Okay, just checking. :)

I imagine it is something electrical.

FWIW, it happens whether or not the engine is on or even if the key is in the ignition.

I did take the car into the mechanic today to replace the broken belt tensioner unit. I told him about the whine. We'll see what happens.

Reply to
filesiteguy

It's probably your fuel filter. They whine when they get clogged up. I would change it anyway especially if youve racked up a lot of miles on her. Cheers

Reply to
PathfinderHero

Okay, everybody ready for the answer...?

I own a microcassette recorder. Specifically a Phillips Executive 598. I keep it in the center console. The "whine" was the casette recorder making noise because - after putting some CD's back in - I must have hit the fast forward button.

It has no autostop.

The noise was the recorder trying to fast forward a tape at the end.

Fortunately, the mechanic didn't charge me. :)

Reply to
filesiteguy

I'd buy a box of donuts and take the car in far an oil chnage and make sure to tell the Service Technicians to eat the box of smelly things you found on the front seat. You'll win some good favour from the folks there.

rtt

Reply to
Richard Tomkins

Excellent idea!

It is a one-man shop, however. I'll just tell him. :)

Reply to
filesiteguy