98 Maxima blower not working

Hello folks,

My '98's heater/AC blower fan came up dead this afternoon when I left work. I assumed it was a fuse, but when I got home and tested everything, all was working fine.

The fuses are good, there's power to the fuse box (both 15A fuses) and the fan does not run on position 4 so it's probably not the resistor block.

Does anyone have any ideas?

The blower had been making a ticking sound, but would a bad brush cause it to not function at all without blowing a fuse?

Reply to the list or to my email.

snipped-for-privacy@tholt.com

Reply to
Tim Holtan

Bad switch at the dash?

Reply to
Pooty Lizard

I did some further digging and I think the dash switch is working. When I shut the fan off, the air conditioning compressor disengages. The switch must be doing something to cause that.

I'm starting to think it might be a relay somewhere. I was looking at the schematic and it looks as if there is a relay in the system. I don't know where (it got too dark to look under the hood last night), but I'm sure I'll be able to find it.

Does anyone else have any ideas?

Tim Holtan

Tim - why did you assume the resistor block is fine? If I understand your post, the fan works on speeds 1, 2, and 3, but not on 4. If this is the case, the resistor pack is actually the problem. It is located by the blower motor under the glove box. You can get a replacement from your local dealer or any online wholesale nissan parts vendor for ~$40. Replacement is easy.

Cheers. Nirav

96 Max GLE, 117k
Reply to
njmodi

Definitely the resistor part.

I fixed mine on my 96 with a glob of solder. The resistor board has a fusible link on it that goes bad with time. This will make your blower run on one speed only.

Check maxima.org in the faqs section for 4th gen on how to fix it. It takes about 15 mins to pull the part, lay the solder, and put it back in.

Reply to
whodunnit?

Sorry guys, but the blower did not function at all. I would have figured that having only full blast would mean the resistor bloc was bad. That same thing happened to me in my Ford pickup.

It's a funny old world. The blower just started working again. I didn't do a darn thing to it and it just started working all by itself.

Odd.

Thanks for all your help.

Tim

Reply to