99 Maxima SE - check engine light problem

The check engine light on my Maxima keeps coming on for a period of time (maybe a week or so) and then will turn off suddenly as I'm driving down the road, only to come on again in a few days later. I took the car to a service station to have it checked out and was told that no codes had been stored in the cars computer. My car has recently passed a state emissions inspection, so it doesn't appear there's a problem with the emissions system. Does anyone have any idea why this light would keep coming on? I'm thinking it might be a malfunctioning sensor.

Reply to
Jim215

Next time the light is on, go to a mechanic and have them retrieve the codes. There will be at least one code stored. If the mechanic claims there are no codes stored when the light is on, it is time to find a more competent mechanic.

If the ECU detects that a previously failed sensor has been working ok for a preset number of drive cycles, the light is reset (turned off) by the ECU.

Cheers, Nirav

96 Max GLE, 121k.
Reply to
njmodi

Unless you went long after the light went out (weeks...), you need a different mechanic.

Reply to
JimV

You need to find a qualified technician, no some dude at a service station.

The main thing you need to understand about the OBD2 diagnostic system is this... If the check engine light is or was on a code is stored in the computer... bottom line... no exceptions !

The next time is comes on I suggest taking it to the dealership or some other qualified shop that knows how to diagnose and repair the problem.

My guess is you are probably getting a P0400 = EGR System or a P1320 = Primary Ignition signal

Reply to
NissTech

I had the same problem with my 02 Maxima and found out there was a recall on it relating to this problem. I had it fixed, and knock on wood, no problems. Just a possibility.

NissTech wrote:

Reply to
MelindaSTL

Reply to