a/c problem

My a/c works fine as long as I don't put the blower on position #4. When I do that the blower will speed up but the a/c compressor kicks off. I've replaced the resistor block, but this didi not fix the problem. My '90 Max has been a fairly reliable car. However, this problem has persisted for several years. Any ideas?

Reply to
detrmnd2

That's weird, my 90 does the same friggin' thing!!! I've asked the question here but no one gave me an answer. Maybe it's not a common enough problem.

Here's my take on the problem:

  1. The fan on high speed causes such a low pressure condition in the evaporator that it sends a "low pressure" signal to the compressor via the low pressure cut-off switch. Would adding more r-12 solve the problem???
  2. The high speed fan setting sends some kind of electrical signal (low voltage or something like that) to the compressor cutoff switch. Would changing out the fan switch solve the problem??
  3. The refrigerant throttling valve (expansion valve) is either bad or needs adjustment. Not sure if it's an adjustable part.

Would any of you Maxima air conditioning gurus please help!!!!!!????

Chris

90 & 94 GXE's
Reply to
Chris H

Here's text from an old reply to my original post re: this problem: (btw, his trick doesn't work on my car): Bill Mills Jun 19 2001, 6:06 am show options

Newsgroups: alt.autos.nissan.maxima From: "Bill Mills" - Find messages by this author Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 06:04:55 -0400 Local: Tues,Jun 19 2001 6:04 am Subject: Re: Need 90 Max Air Conditioner Help Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse

Tracy, I don't know if the fan speed control is the same as my 92 GXE or not but I have the identical problem. On the A/C button there is a little green led that lights when the ac is on. When I switch to fan speed 4 the fan blows hard but the little ac led goes out and the system blows hot air (sounds like yours?).

I was told that the control head unit would have to be replaced, they cannot replace just the fan switch, duh? They wanted $200 for the control head unit!!

What I did was to put the fan on speed 4 and move the fan switch ever so slightly back toward the 3 position, watch the ac led, When I get about have way between 4 and 3 the fan is still blowing at speed 4 and the led shines green, I get cold air.

I have been running it like this for two years and so far it continues to work.

YMMV (your mileage may vary),

Bill Raleigh

Reply to
Chris H

Chris H, Thanks for your input. I'm still researching the problem. Like you, I'm not getting much of a response from other sites. When and if I get an answer, I'll be sure to pass it on. Keep chargin'.

Reply to
detrmnd2

Now that it's scorchin' hot here in Dallas, I too have been trying to manage my a/c switch problem. Seems that if I switch back and forth from 3 to 4 a few times, the compressor will stay engaged on 4 and I can get gobs of cold air when the car is hot from sitting around. It's probably not worth tearing into the system to figure out the problem if I can get it to work using said procedure. Car's too old to be messing around with it too much!! Viva la R-12!!!!

Chris

90 & 94 GXE's

Reply to
Chris H