ABS replacement expensive? 1997 SE

I heard from an auto-mechanics-savvy friend that a dealer quoted $2,000 to replace/install the ABS pump? I might be wrong about the name of the part.

My car has only 45K miles, but I want to prepare myself for the shock when I get such news. I am not auto-mechanics savvy.

Is that amount reasonable? What is the expected life of that pump?

Are there alternatives ...

1 - get replacement part from a wrecking yard ?

2 - refurbish the part ?

3 - disable the ABS system ?

4 - other ?

Thanks for any help.

Larry Mehl

Reply to
L Mehl

Why are you so certain that you will (get such news)??

BuddyWh

Reply to
BuddyWh

The best insurance against such a failure is to have your brakes bled every couple years. It's the water that contaminates the fluid over time that does the damage.

L Mehl wrote:

Reply to
Jim

Have the brake fluid changed every few years and you'll never have the problem. So far I've never seen a nissan need one, it's a ford thing! :-)

Reply to
Steve T

I had an ABS pump fail in my 3rd Gen Maxima. Picked one up at a good foreign car boneyard for 1/6 of replacement cost, which was an $1875 part at the time. Easy install by my local maintenance mechanic. The pumps as far as I know are not serviceable or rebuildable. Failure is not that common - they can last a long time. Note there are several components that could cause ABS to fail, so be sure you have a couple of opinions in diagnosis. Good luck. BeeP

95 SE Auto 89 SE Auto traded

shock when I

Reply to
mrple

My 1990 Maxima ABS unit was leaking. I got a remanufactured one from

for about half the price of a new unit.

"mrple" a écrit dans le message de news:jFoyc.12403$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdny01.gnilink.net...

Reply to
GL

Thank you all for the comments and information.

I feel better now.

Larry Mehl

Reply to
L Mehl