Acceleration Problems / Terrible Gas Mileage!!! PLZ Help

Ok, here is the situation. I recently purchased an '00 maxima for a very good deal, has 200,000 KM no check engine light, clean inside and out, beautiful Glacier Pearl paint job...

Symptoms of the unknown problem are:

1) 8 KM / L (roughly 19 MPG) 2) 0-60MPH in 9 Secs. (Way below the average 7.5 secs. that I see others get) 3) Between 2500 and 3500 RPM I feel a drag when flooring it. (Like something is holding the car back)

I recently got a highmileage oil change. Did a 4 step emissions cleaning (which includes seafoaming), did not help at all.

Is this a MAF issue?? I've been reading that airflow and dirty sensors are the culprit of most gas mileage and acceleration problems, but others with the same problem did not notice a change. I took a look at my MAF and it looked clean to me.

What else could I do to diagnose the problem? I would really appreciate any suggestions or advice.

Thanks!!!!!!!

Reply to
assad.jamil

It's either your O2 sensors or the knock sensor. Change the 02's first and see what happens. Change only the 02 sensors in the exhaust manifold, there should be 2, 1 for each cylinder bank, not the other ones.

CD

Reply to
codifus

Agree, symptoms say it's an 02 or knock sensor. When my knock sensor went bad, acceleration was in 10-11 second territory. 19 mpg not really bad, though, just not that great.

Or maybe you have a spouse or g.f. putting in regular unleaded, instead of premium !

Reply to
jmattis

Hi, Knock sensor..most likely...my mileage improved dramatically when I changed mine, 19 MPG to 28 MPG......but I have ALLOT more miles on mine...... O2 sensor will throw a code and you will get a check engine lamp, knock sensor will NOT throw a code, so I suspect your knock sensor before an O2 sensor...there was a guy selling Nissan branded (new in the nissan parts box) knock sensors on ebay a while back, don't know if they are still listed.... that is where I got mine for about 1/2 the cost of the Stealers (dealers) price Good luck,

2Maximas
Reply to
Bitsbucket

19 to 18 mpg is normal in town,,,with maybe 26 at a constant 60 mph

You got 28,,,doing what,,falling off a cliff,,????

not possible,,,

Reply to
common_ sense

.......... many, many lines deleted.

I have a 2000 Nissan Maxima SE, automatic transmission, sunroof, with

130,000 miles.

Just finished a 4894 mile, 2 week trip. from MN to Washington, DC, to Virginia to Florida to Mississippi to Arkansas to MN. This included lots of road miles, but also included a lot of city driving as I drove around the many cities I was going thru.

My average gas mileage was - 28.16 mpg. I always used High Octane gas.

Speed was about 5-7 miles over posted speed limit, sometime more at night. I used cruise control a lot, and had the A/C on. With 2 people in car, back seat half full, trunk completely full ( included cooler with drinks, ice, snacks, etc ).

Reply to
Bob

Exactly. 28 mpg is entriely do-able in the 3.0. Maybe he's confusing the 2002 and later Maximas which have the 3.5.

CD

Reply to
codifus

For lo, codifus hath proclaimed:

I have a 2000 Infiniti I30 with the same 3.0 and 96,000 miles; I get 21-22 mpg in town and 27-28 on the highway, pretty consistently. (Worst tank ever was 18.5, during a period highlighted by two ice storms.)

Reply to
Charles G. Hill

at a constant 55mph under ideal conditions yes,,

but as an "average", for a car with an EPA rating of 19 city/27 highway - not possible.

Sounds like Bob must have missed figuring in a fill up or two during his trip.

Reply to
common_ sense

just about the same as I get with my 2000 max SE,,

28 "average" though is not possible.
Reply to
common_ sense

Actually, under those conditions, in my 98 Max SE 5 speed, I got 33 MPG. I will *never* achieve that again, of course. It was just a test to see how well I could do. I was driving like a granny for the entire tankful. No AC, windows open, 55 mph almost constantly or down to 40 mph. Always in 5th gear.

It helped that the scenery and weather was beautiful at the time while driving along so leisurely.

CD

Reply to
codifus

Please - give me a break. I did not miss figuring a fill up or two..

Just because your expierence is different- that DOES NOT mean that mine has to be the same as yours

If you are so sure that you are correct - how much $$ would you like to back that up with ????

Reply to
Bob

did you include that last refil,,?

The car has an epa (ideal conditons) rating of 19 city, 27 highway - you claim that in mixed driving with 500 lbs on board, that you beat that,????

Simple physics/logic says no you did not,,,

Reply to
common_ sense

Are you really for real ???? and are you that ill informed ???

Why dont you put some money where your statements are ????? and why didn't you answer my very simple question which I will repeat here for you - how much $$ would you like to back your statements with ??

.And since you try to appear to be so smart --- since when did epa == ideal conditions ????

and why do you have such a hard time accepting truth ????

and yes, I did include that last fill up....

I dont know you from adam and yet you seem to insist that I am lying or trying to shade the issue ..

and as for your comment -- > Simple physics/logic says no you did not,,,

if you are claiming simple physics/logic - state it -- dont waffle around it. State IT !!!! Prove your simple physics / logic argument -

Oh and by the way - trying using a Valid repy to address - I have tried to send you email and it bounced with invald email address... So what are you trying to hide ??????????????

Now - how about you answering all the questions ??? or go back to your little sandbox ....

Reply to
Bob

I didn't realize that EPA was a science . . . . . . . . Didn't the EPA recently revise their mileage estimating scheme such that if they tested the same car today that it tested a couple of years ago that car would get worse mileage?

And doesn't the EPA always end its mileage estimates by saying "your mileage may vary?"

Let it go, man. Let it go.

CD

Reply to
codifus

I don't know if the EPA revised their scheme or not.. I don't really care if the EPA did or did not. I know what mileage my vehicles get. That is what is revelant to me... mpg, and $$ cost per mile.

From your own statement in this posting ---

and yet from another posting - you had stated --

DO YOU NOT SEE YOUR OWN CONTRADICTION IN WHAT YOU POST ?????????? OR are you such that type of person that only what you say matters regardless of validity ???????

Yet - you refuse to accept that someone may get better mpg than "posted" by the epa and you have to "suggest" that I missed a couple of fill up or two, or the last fill up...

However, you appear to not have the necessary equipment to back up what you post ... and you refuse to answer simple questions posted to you.. and now you want to slink away....

Again my questions to you --

  1. How much $$ do you want to put up to back up your statements ??
  2. Why don't you use a valid - reply to- email address in your posting ???
Reply to
Bob

conditons) rating of 19 city, 27 highway -

So now we're totally off - topic.

I've gotten 26 and 31 mpg under the same conditions with an I30t 3.0L

-- except when you check whether you had a nice tailwind or a headwind. That can make a big difference and be unnoticed as you go down the highway. It IS possible to get into the 30's range with a steady cruise at 65-75 mph. But doing it consistently? No, more like

27.
Reply to
jmattis

FIRST: probably is a good thing that you stated you have an I30t or CD, or common_ snipped-for-privacy@netscape.com , or codifus

Reply to
Bob

conditons) rating of 19 city, 27 highway -

exactly right,,,it is possible, steady state, under extra ideal conditons.

what all of the other mad rantings in your included quoted text, are about are beyond me?

People get so obsessived with this gas mileage thing,,,get a life.

and btw - the epa figures are widely recognized as being 20 percent to generous.

Reply to
common_ sense

Bob

Up your lithium,,,you are obviously quite disturbed.

Reply to
common_ sense