Advice on Buing Used Maxima

Hi,

I am considering buying a used Maxima for up to $24,000 Canadain (about 18k US) early next year. I am thinking about models starting from 1999 (last major change before model 2004).

My main requirement is relaiability and having a stronger car with good options (ABS and so on). I own Ford Windstar 95 and strongly hope for a better satisfaction with used Maxima!

Do you have any points as to what is the safest choice for models between

1999 to let say 2002?

I know that all 3 types SE, GLE, and XLE come with a load of options that would satisfy my requirements.

Thank you,

Wes

Reply to
Wes Braczkowski

The major change was with the 2k model. Note the 2k has the 3.0 engine and but 2002 started with a 3.5 engine And yes, it will be more reliable than your Ford.

Reply to
You_Know_Who~

Being more reliable than a ford doesn't take much

Reply to
Brian

My 1988 Ford Crown Victoria has given me fewer problems in it's entire lifetime than my '94 Maxima has in any one of the last 5 years!

Father Guido ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ I plan on living forever... so far, so good

Reply to
FatherGuido

Consider yourself lucky

Reply to
Brian

I drove an 85 Ford Tempo 275,000 miles before I finally parked it... still running but very tired. Near zero repairs (a water pump and a pair of tie rod ends). Was operating on original gear including things like carb, alternator, starter, fuel pump, even AC freon...

Luck of the draw it seems to me. Buying a Nissan lowers your odds of owning a lemon...

The O2 sensor I to put in my '99 Maxima after a year was kind of disappointing... it HAS been very reliable... but I don't expect it to beat that particular Ford...

Mike

Reply to
Mike

I have 345,000K on my 92 Maxima. Still going strong. Doesn't burn oil, but every once in a while it shudders (injectors??) I put a can of injector cleaner in and it goes away for another 20,000 or so. I commute about 75K one way every day and its all highway, so they're "kind" miles. I'm not afraid to get on it though, but it never complains. I've done 3 or 4 break jobs and replaced transmission. Other than that, the only expense has been a broken exhaust manifold stud. That was 200,000 ago, and I think another has let go now, although I'll put up with a bit of exhaust noise rather than spend the bucks. My wife just sold her 96 Max. 160,000 K and no major maintenance issues. We did replace a couple of sensors to make the check engine light go out, but other than routine break jobs, etc, no problems. She got a 2004 Max. Same model as her GLE, but I can't think of the name. This one's a lease. I hope it turns out to be as good as it looks, because I might be looking to replace my 92 in 4 years and I really like the looks of this one. FWIW - I change my own oil and filter every month on mine, every two on hers. I use good oil and good filters. And MolySlip. Don't know whether it actually works or not, but there's been no noise or burnt oil in either of our Max's. Dave E Whitby Ontario

Reply to
ezalpha

Just curious, what are break jobs? Oh, you must mean brake jobs! See, even spell checker can't differentiate grammar errors. Just kidding......

Reply to
noyap

Thanks for adding that insight.

Reply to