air intake selection, question

Hey all, I'm looking for an air intake for my 01 max. I found 2 that I like from

there is an INjen intake (CAI) that doesn't need to have any drilling into the car. and then there is a HKS Super Mega Flow Intake Kit. which has 2 intakes and 2 filters on it. has anyone used an injen or an HKS on their maximas? looking for some feedback on hwo they are. any mods required for the HKS? coudl you recommend any other CAI's? what I'm looking for mainly is a CAI that requires no modification to the car (no drilling of holes in the fender or anything) thanks a lot

-Slick Nick

Reply to
habibe99

There's lots of info on CAI's at the maxima.org forums including information on recommended sources. For example, Steve at Southwest Auto Works

will sell you an INjen for much less than the price 2kracing is quoting, but you need to call him to get the best price. But beware -- there is quite a history of CAI's killing the MAF sensors on the 5th Generation Maximas. It's bad enought that some people actually keep a spare MAF in their trunk. A new MAF will run at least $400, but some dealers will sell you the sensor separately for less than $100. Check out the multitude of threads on the topic at maxima.org before deciding if you want to go down the CAI path.

Reply to
Dan

If you do decide to modify the air intake system be forewarned now.

It WILL cause damage to your mass air flow sensor, I have seen this more times than I can count, and other people on this board will dispute my comments.You can dismiss my comments if you want but at over 400.00 bucks a pop for an air flow meter you may learn your lesson pretty quick.

Be advised the failure will not be immediate but it will shorten the expected life of your AFM.

Remember, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it "

Reply to
NissTech