Alternators?

Any thoughts on expected life of an alternator on a Maxima??? I have TWO Maximas (admittedly Australian so that's I30's to the US people)...one is a

1998 model...one is a 2000 model...the alternator on the 2K model died in October...and I've just had the alternator go on the 1998 model last week!!! Are these dodgy alternators??? It's a bit expensive as Nissan charge me over $500 each time one dies!!! They also seem a little eager to always blame the alternator for the car dying...I've only ever had an alternator go on a Pathfinder...but $5 for a pair of new brushes later and the alternator continued on forever!
Reply to
Rog

I had the alternator go on my 1993 Maxima, was still charging ok and appeared to be regulating fine, but was making a nasty noise, turned out to be a shorted diode in the pack, was able to dismantle the alternator and replace the diode pack.. about $30 worth and a couple hours.. haven't had a problem since.

This was a Mitsubishi alternator.. similar to the unit in my Skyline I had previously.. perhaps the newer models have a different brand..

Greg.

Reply to
Greg Stewart