An intro and a buncha '91 Max queries

New to the group. Pop a cold one on me.

Just bought a '91 Maxima SE 5-speed with 223K showing on the odo. A mechanic-friend took the car from a customer who didn't want to pay for the work it needed. Abandoned it, if you will. New master cylinder, rotors and pads all around, battery, window regulator, etc. The car has rot behind both rear doors and on the trunk lid where the spoiler was screwed in. It's not going to win any beauty contests, but it runs and drives terrific. The leather interior is nearly mint, and the A/C is downright offensive. For what I paid for this thing, I can leave it at the side of the road if it keels over on me.

The car is not without a small problem or two. Here goes:

The Bose factory sound system is shot. I have at least two blown speaker/amp units, maybe three. The CD player won't accept a disc. The radio plays through one (sometimes two) speaker(s), but I gotta have my CD's. I'd like to rip it all out and go with an inexpensive aftermarket system (AM/FM/CD/4 speakers). I was pretty good with stereo installations back in the day... I haven't done one in almost 15 years though. I've already figured out that none of the Bose stuff will work with aftermarket stuff (head unit/amps/speakers/etc). I took a peek at the back of the double DIN head unit and didn't see the typical antenna plug anywhere. Is there anything about the Max I need to know? Is this something new?

And, the factory foglights are long dead/smashed/rusted out. Amazingly, I stripped back the wires and have voltage when the switch is on. I can simply bolt on a new pair in their place. Without getting into HID or hyper-priced cornea scorchers, does anyone know of any decent aftermarket lamps that fit/look right on the Max?

TIA and have another one on my tab.

Reply to
C.J.
  1. Try maxima.org
  2. You need an antennae adapter at bestbuy
  3. It's pretty easy to do if you can read a schematic. Just did mine (rears and HU only for now) Piece o' cake
Reply to
Brian

Stock Nissan radio has a "diversity" (double-pin) antenna connection. Uses two antennae to get the strongest signal available, yah-de-yah. Adapters available aftermarket. What, no rot behind the front wheels?? Lucky you. The side wells in the trunk (under the carpet and fiberboard) are probably rotted also, so don't let anything valuable fall down there! There was a recall I believe for corrosion around the fuel filler tube area so that is something to investigate. If you don't smell gas, then your are probably OK. Try a junkyard for a trunk lid, if it is important to you. Try these sites for more Maxima audio info and other 3rd Gen goodies.

info is common to both sites (same author) but more audio info inthe first site. For my 89 I replaced the stock fog lamps with a set of Pilot PL1055C driving lamps, reasonably priced at Auto Zone. Standard white 55W setup. Easy to adjust and install; I recall having to tap a thread into existing holes in the lamp area. Don't know if A/Z still carries that model. They were about an inch+ high and 4+ inches wide and tucked nicely into the cavity where the stock lamps were. And they didn't get destroyed on curbs or concrete bumpers like the originals. Have fun and good luck. Long live 3rd Gen! Bob

95 SE Auto 89 SE Auto traded

terrific. The

aftermarket

installations

aftermarket

anywhere. Is

Amazingly, I

aftermarket

Reply to
BeeP

Hey, thanks for the links... bookmarked 'em for future use.

I called Nissan with the VIN looking for open recalls, but no luck. I was kinda hoping for a Bose speaker recall or something!

After cruising the 3rd Gen sites, it seems I have a prototypical Maxima with most of the quirks and long-term ailments. I don't know too much about this car's history, but the engine is original (maybe rebuilt), as is the tranny. The carpet is wet on the driver side, but the floor is solid. The car sat for awhile with a window off its track, so that could have caused it. I found acorns in the air filter housing, and rodent dropping on the strut towers. About a half a gallon of Zep industrial degreaser and a half-hour with a pressure washer revealed a decent engine compartment without too many issues. There's an exhaust manifold leak until it gets good and hot. All the fluids were good, and the thing leaks NOTHING.

I'll look for those Pilots you mentioned once I get settled in with this road warrior. In the meantime, I have plenty to learn about it. Thanks again for the info... my plastic is on the bar.

Reply to
C.J.

Be VERY careful using a pressure washer in the engine compartment. Most sensitive electrical components weren't intended to be waterproof under pressure and you may end up ruining some very expensive components.

Reply to
Dan

Powered electrical/electronic equipment can be damaged by exposure to water. Pure water is non-conductive, but that is not what you get from the tap.

Power off the electrical stuff (disconnect the battery) before using water under your hood.

In th electronics industry, we use water to wash the solder residue off circuit boards, most of the components are exposed to water and work fine when dried. On th eother hand, pour water into a keyboard and it will rapidly die.

SO, power off, wash, dry, power on. The dry cycle I use when washing television circuit boards is 3 days with forced air circulation.

rtt

Reply to
Richard Tomkins