Antenna replacement - NissTech??

Yes, very likely is down inside the motor.

Yes, you'll have to take the cover off the motor.

Don't bother, you'll just tear up stuff.

Also there is a metal sleave on the old mast you need to remove and put on the new one before you put the nut on. That's why it feels wobbly and will end up falling out and then beating up your quarter panel.

Reply to
Steve T

Hey,

3rd Gen Maxima - '91 SE Got a broken antenna. White gear cable broken. Antenna always in the up position. I bought a replacement, and have been following some instuctions that NissTech posted several years ago.

I unscrewed the base nut, and pulled out the old antenna and cable (didn't need to turn radio on, but I did anyway). But, the instructions I have say to also pull out a "white plastic leader". Now, on the new and old antennas, there is a white plastic piece at the base of the antenna, but it is not a separate item, it's integrated into the antenna. Is this "leader" a separate item? If so, then I don't know if I have one.

I was able to install the new antenna - sort of. It goes up and down, but when it's down, it still sticks up about 10-12". And when it's up, it feels very unstable, i.e. I can move it around quite a bit, lots of play.

Is it possible this "leader" piece has slipped down inside the antenna shaft? Is it replaceable? Or do I have to take out the motor and get the old "leader"? Tomorrow, I'm going to try fishing down in there with a straightened hanger and see what I find.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks,

Bill G '91 SE Auto

164K miles
Reply to
Bill G

No coat hangers. Go here for full antenna information for 3rd Gen. Excellent site.

luck. Bob

95 SE Auto 89 SE Auto traded

instuctions

down, but

antenna

Reply to
BeeP

Thanks BeeP!!

I forgot about that website. I'm at the point that the new antenna does not go down all the way, so I guess I will be taking out the motor after all.

Bill G '91 SE Auto

164K miles
Reply to
Bill G

No probs. Have fun. Don't forget to protect your paint around the antenna base with rags, old blanket, etc. Those needle nose pliers can slip and cause a nasty scratch on the finish. Or, if you are really into tools, I believe there is a special tool that grips those collars with the two notches. Bob

95 SE Auto 89 SE Auto traded
Reply to
BeeP