Bad Service Experience

Anyone ever have problems with Ramsey, NJ, Nissan or am I the only lucky one? Boy, I am so aggravated.

The Wednesday before Labor Day, my seat back would not raise, it would only go back. Everyone in my household tried to see if they could fix it and it wouldn't budge. I (stupidly) sent it all the way back with the hope that it would come upright after that, so I was driving around with no seat back at all. I called the dealership and they told me to bring it in on Thursday and leave it for the day; they would either find the problem and fix it or if they needed a part, they could order it and have it on Friday am and do the work Friday. Since I was anyway due for a oil change, I asked them to do that as well and one other minor repair. Wouldn't you know that we were taking a road trip on Labor Day weekend.

Well, at 3 pm on Thursday, I was called by them to say the car was done. I went down (it's about a 25 minute drive from my home) to pick the car up and when they gave me the bill, there was a notation that said "customer reports seat back not moving; we detected no problem." That was strange...

The seat back was in the proper position. I adjusted it slightly and drove off on my merry way. When I was off the highway, it occurred to me to check the seat further (it seemed bothered me that they said they detected no problem) and pushed the seat back way back and....it wouldn't come upright again! at all! I turned around and zoomed back to the dealership and after keeping me waiting to see if they maybe had a seat motor, they said they didn't have the part and now it is too late to order it for Friday and they will call me Tuesday or Wednesday when the part comes in. They managed to get it to a decent position so at least I could drive the car with pillows between me and the seat back.

By Thursday, I hadn't heard from them and called to ask and was switched (with no explanation) to the parts department so I figure I'm suppposed to ask them myself if the seat motor came in and it did; then I called back service and made an appt for Monday. I was told the job would take 1 1/2 - 2 hours.

Brought the car in at 12:30, when I had the appt. and waited in the waiting room. 1 1/2 hours later "Carlos" came and explained that they thought it was one thing but that something else was also affected and they will order that part and have it tomorrow and I can come back anytime tomorrow to have the work done.

I called the next day and found out the part had not yet come in. They called me late in the day to say it had, so I made a new appointment for Wednesday.

Again, I brought the car in at 12:30. This time I had to be out of there by

3:00 for another appt, but I figured I had plenty of time. Yeah, right. Remember that the job was est. to take 1.5-2 hrs. Well, at 2:00 I went to inquire and was told they are now working on it. At 2:30, it was told it would be 10 more minutes. At 2:55, they went to check and said they are putting everything back; it would be another 10 minutes. At 3:10, "Carlos" came with my key. I asked how much it was and he said no charge (that should have tipped me off, right?)

I got into the car, ready to fly to my appointment. Went to adjust the newly fixed seat back. It doesn't move. Went to push the seat forward and up, IT doesn't move.

Arghghhghghh!

Anyone as happy as I am with their service? Any advice? What is going on here?? How do I deal with these people?

Reply to
Yeruchem and Fraida Cohen

I would contact Nissan first and then find a new Nissan dealer for my service work. ronm

Reply to
ronm

Thanks for the quick reply. By contact Nissan, you mean the corporate hdqtrs? Or the manager of this dealership?

Reply to
Yeruchem and Fraida Cohen

Not the dealership I mean their USA contact. Nissan Consumer Affairs P.O. Box 191 Gardena, CA 90248 (800) NISSAN-1 (or 800-647-7261)

9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. Eastern / Central Time 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Pacific Time Monday through Friday Get a supervisor on the phone and tell them about your problem with getting that seat fixed. It's also a safety item so be sure to let them know you feel it is a real problem to your families safety. That should get them wanting to help you. :-) ronm ============
Reply to
ronm

I seriously agree with the 'safety item' argument. They probably never should have let you drive out propped up on pillows in the first place.

My up/down motor, on the rear part of the bottom cushion, quit in warranty & they replaced the assembly with no problem. It sounds like the guy working on your car needs to go back to Seats 101 for remedial training.

You may want to discuss the problem face to face with the service manager before going to Nissan, because it really could resolve the problem faster. He's paid a couple hundred thousand dollars a year to take care of issues such as yours.

If he can't offer another mechanic to fix it, I'd tell him you're going to dispute the charge on your card (if you charged it) because no service was rendered, and that you're going to another shop immediately. And on top of that, register your complaint with Nissan. If you paid by check or cash, you'll have a much bigger problem taking your business elsewhere on this.

Nissan dealers do not rank very high on the list for consumer satisfaction... And the way all shops work is, the lowliest mechanic that has some chance of fixing the car will be assigned to the job. If the car comes back for a re-do, the same guy is put back on the job again--because he already got paid to fix it. And he doesn't get paid for the remaining attempts.

When a second mechanic is assigned to fix the problem, he expects to get paid too. Then the shop has to pay two mechanics, or deal with a "political problem" when docking the first one's pay. Instead of dealing with their problems, it's easier for them to string you along on a ride.

JM

Reply to
JM

Based upon my piss poor service from my dealer AND Nissan customer service, just live with it. It MIGHT get fixed,,,,eventually, but Nissan REALLY doesn't care about it's customers.

I'll never buy another Nissan Product because of their poor customer service, despite the quality & value of their cars

Reply to
Jimmy G