Banged up my 2000 Max recently :-( need info on insurance.

I was parked in a parking garage with very tight spots and concrete polls that seem to jump out at you. I bet this garage was built by a bunch of auto body shops. Anyway, I was backing out and my left rear side, just above the tire scraped one of these concrete polls. The damage wasn't huge, but will probably still cost a lot to fix.

I am just wondering how this will play out with my insurance company. Since it was my fault and no one else was involved, will my insurance cover it? If so, will my insurance rate increase because of it? I know that I will have to pay my deductible no matter what. Am I better off saying that someone hit me while I was parked and they took off? I am normally so careful, have never even scratched one of my cars before. Very frustrating. Thanks for any info.

Reply to
Google Surfer

Jon Smith

Do the right thing..... Insurance fraud costs everybody money. I have some hail damage on my car and actually have had body shop owners suggest to "make a claim" even after I told them I bought it that way....Geeze...

Reply to
Bitsbucket

Reply to
Tom S

Mr. Smith was not advocating insurance fraud. It is perfectly legal to pay for repairs yourself and not involve your insurance company, especially in a case like this. Had it been a major accident, and the value of the car was adversely affected, it might be different. But we're talking about some scratches, dents, and a little paint.

Now, the example you cite would indeed be fraud.

Bill G

Reply to
Bill G

I quote: Am I better off saying that someone hit me while I was parked and they took off?

He says this right after saying, and again I quote from HIS post: "I was backing out and my left rear side, just above the tire scraped one of these concrete polls".

If he claims someone hit him and took off when he really just backed into a post that damn sure is insurance fraud! Read his post again.

Reply to
Bitsbucket

I'm sorry, I totally missed this sentence.

This is the one I saw and responded to.

It is, I agree.

Sorry, Bits, I wasn't implying that you'd support fraud.

"Again" would suggest that I READ IT THE FIRST TIME !!! Which I obviously didn't. ;-)

Again, my apologies.

Bill G '91 SE Auto

168,944 miles

Reply to