Battery Question

My battery is putting out 12.3V with the car off. I used a cheap battery tester and it indicates my battery is 75% charged.

Q: Does this mean that the battery is on it's way out? Is it possible that the battery is good and that the alternator is not charging it properly? The only symptom is slightly longer cranking time to startup than I am accustomed to. It used to fire right up and now requires 2-3 seconds on occasion.

Reply to
CW

The 12.3 is fine. I wouldn't put much stock in the cheap specific gravity tester. You say it takes longer cranking. Does it crank slower? How old it the battery? If it is cranking slower and the batt is >3 yrs old, I'd change it.

Reply to
Jim

Get your battery tested with a tester that puts a load on it. Most of the chain type (and independent) auto parts places will test it for free, hoping you'll spring for a battery if it's needed. A no load test means little and a cheap battery tester is likely not calibrated all that accurately anyway.

As a battery ages its internal resistance increases and the terminal voltage under heavy load, like the starter, will go way, way down and when it gets too low, the starter doesn't turn over very fast and the engine is apt to have a harder time starting. Once the internal resistance of the battery increases too much it's a lost cause and you're better off putting your $$$ into a new battery and not get yourself stuck unable to start when it's very inconvenient to get a jump start to get you home.

I replaced my orig> My battery is putting out 12.3V with the car off. I used a cheap

-- Address is NOT monitored due to SPAM volume from newsgroups. DO NOT REPLY to post directly.

Reply to
Don't Reply to this address

This site says it, hot weather is hardwer on a battery than cold weather. A battery standing in hot weather will discharge faster than a battery standing in cold weather. A discharged battery ends up in sulfication, the sulphur attaches itslef to the plates and this leads to early failure.

rtt

Reply to
Richard Tomkins

Just to follow up, I went to Autozone to get the alternator and battery tested. AFter connecting the machine and having me start the car and then rev to 2000rpm for a while, he concluded that "he thinks" the battery is bad and that the alternator is fine. He didn't seem very certain though (just me trying to read his expression). He did say that on startup, the voltage dropped to 8V at one point. I did end up buying a new battery since the one I had was at least 3 years old.

Thanks for the comments. My car still takes longer to crank than is normal. I think perhaps the starter I replaced 2 years ago maybe going now.

Carleton

Reply to
CW