Blown guages fuse charging problem

Lsat night the red check battery light on my 87 maxima came on. The voltage guage had gone to zero.

My mechanic traced the issue to a blown guages fuse? He replaced the fuse but could not get it to blow again.

any known issues that may cause this? also where is that fuse located? can I replace it myself (I am handy but in no way a mechanic).

do fuses wear out? this was an original fuse from 87? or would it have to be a short.

thanks

Reply to
JGreen

You should be able to replace it yourself if necessary. Pull the cover off the fuse box and it should have listed on the inside of the cover or etched on the panel itself which fuse is for what.

Fuses don't wear out. There is probably a wire somewhere in there with abraded insulation that shorted when it touched bare metal or another wire or got wet driving through a deep puddle. You can try wiggling likely wiring harnesses to see if you can make it blow the fuse. These sorts of problems can be very difficult to find.

Reply to
E. Meyer

thanks for the info. Do you know if that fuse block is under the hood or inside the car?

Reply to
JGreen