Borla Pro XS for the 2003 Maxima

I'm looking into replacing the stock muffler on my 2003 Maxima SE with a Borla Pro XS Muffler.

The dimensions are nearly identical, but my local speed shop advised against it suggesting they could end up charging for hours of labor, brackets and hangers... more than doubling the cost of the muffler itself. (The Pro XS runs from $110 to $130 depending on where you buy it.) Their hesitance seemed kind of an odd response to me.

Anyone have any experience or advice to this objective?

Reply to
John Clare

More on this - the stock muffler is a side-inlet, and looks to be of the 2" variety. This rather sucks. Borla doesn't seem an option. They do offer a side-inlet, single-center outlet for a 2" pipe, but it's a 14" body, so the hanger arrangement would have to be customized, and there would have to be an extension.

Frustrating. No one has any advice?

Reply to
John Clare

Get over it? Rice IMO.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

Took me a while to figure out what "Rice IMO" means, but apparantly "IMO" is an abbreviation for "in my opinion", and "Rice" is likely a reference to "rice burner". In other words, I'm guesing Dave thinks a replacement muffler on the '03 Maxima would cheapen it, akin to all the plastic-clad fast-n-furious japanese compacts so common today.

To some extent, I agree, however that's why I was researching the dual-tip,

19" Borla ProXS, which is nearly identical in configuration to the stock muffler. The last think I want is one of those large-mouth glasspacks puck-pucking out my car's rear.

Still researching... still not there yet. Was hoping this newsgroup could offer some insight.

Reply to
John Clare

What is your purpose in changing it? If you don't like fartcan mufflers, then aftermarket mostly isn't what you want. Supposedly it doesn't add hardly any horsepower anyway. If there is something wrong with your stocker, buy a used one - there are plenty out there very cheap. According to the folks at maxima.org, the Frankencar and Cattman cat-backs are reasonably quiet replacements.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

Hi Dave. Nothing wrong with the stock muffler, it's just that Borla products have a wonderfully deep tone to them. I've always had the opinion they're at the high-end of the aftermarket exhausts. I wasn't so much going for a noticable increase in HP as I was looking for a pleasing sound-n-feel. Still, the ProXS and K&N Filter together would likely add up to 10hp. Noticable on top of 255hp...? Doubtful, but maybe. Again, not the focus.

I once put a cheap Pacesetter Cat-back on a '92 240SX. The performance change was very noticable, but it sounded like crap. I don't want to repeat that mistake.

I may very well have to pursue the cat-back solution, because a simple and acceptable muffler replacement doesn't seem to be in the works. However, that's a little more $$ too.

john

Reply to
John Clare

Frankencar... never heard of them until your post, Dave. I've been researching their Apexi Filter Air Intake system, and am getting pretty charged up about what I'm reading throughout the net.

So, thanks for the tip.

john

Reply to
John Clare

Nice page, John.

P.S. have thought of replacing the stock muffler on my 2002 also. If I did, I'd go for similar appearance with a low, throaty hush. Nothing noisy or raspy. Gave up after a short and fruitless search. Maybe I'll get some nicer tips...

Reply to
Pat

Thanks, Pat. Seems we're of the same mind regarding the exhaust.

Until the time that a catback or muffler with Borla quality is available for the '03 Max, I think I'll be getting myself one of those Frankencar/Apexi Intake Systems for Xmas :-)

john

Reply to
John Clare