Bypassing the fusible link on the positive battery cable?

Hi all,

The battery cable on my 95 Max is seriously corroded. I don't want to spend $130 for a pair of new cables from Nissan dealers (what a ripoff). The negative is easy to replace.

The problem is with the fusible link (red little box) on the positive cable. I am thinking of completely bypassing it.

Here's my question: Who has replaced their corroded positive battery cable? Did you just use a normal after market cable (and totally ignore the fusible link)? Or did you "home make" your own fusible link?

Please, I would love to hear from people who have ACTUALLY done this before.

Thanks a lot.

Reply to
Tu* Houston

Do you put pennies in your fusebox at home? :-)

$130 for a pair of correct cables doesn't sound bad to me given the originals lasted almost 10 years. By the time you screw around trying to make aftermarket ones work, you'll have that much time and frustration and be lucky to get 2-3 years out of them.

If the money really seems too much either get the OE positive or at least make up some sort of fuseable link so if something shorts out, the car doesn't catch on fire.

Reply to
Steve T

Reply to
john smith

replying to john smith, BadDesign wrote: I think it would be more productive to have someone post how they safely and effectively relocated the fuse box away from the battery. What a dumb place to place a fuse box right on top of a battery that will eventually get acid on everything. Then you should be able to use the normal cables to the battery and run the positive to the fuse box and factory cables that are positioned elsewhere. Thats what I was looking for online tonight.

Reply to
BadDesign