Cant start

ok if anyone can tell me what can be that problem pls...i have a maxima

1995 3.0 ok i was running in the high way and the car turned off, when i try to turn in back on i hear a noice like it keeps running so is more like a huming noiz coming from it what can it b pls help
Reply to
tgoris

We need a better description. Does it turn over and not start or doesn't turn over? If it doesn't turn over it could be the starter or battery. Turn the overhead light on and try to start it. Does it get dim or stay bright?

Reply to
JimV

forgive my ignorance with cars but what happens when I try to turn my car on is that it doesn't crank at all it just make a humming noise, I was told that it might be the timing belt, keep in mind that the car did turn of on me wile i was on the high way. right B4 it turn of it made a clogging noise like it was low in gas or something, I would hit the gas and it wouldn't accelerate.

Reply to
tgoris

Given your experience level and the numerous possibilities for this problem, I suggest you have it towed to a shop for a diagnosis and estimate. If you're concerned about it, you can post here the detail of that estimate and we can help from there.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

Will it restart after sitting for awhile, like say an hour or so?

Reply to
Justin Sane

Hmm, if it's a GXE it might be the belt and it might be toast. If it's an LE or SE it has a chain, not a belt.

Reply to
JimV

I thought all the '95s had the engine with the chain??

Reply to
E Meyer

Nope, 95 GXEs had the old engine not the VQ. From 96 on they all got the VQ.

Reply to
JimV

ok i will do so, but i do have the SE so it has a chain witch is good cuz now i know what do to say so i wont get tricked on paying alot of money ty guys will post the info when i get it

Reply to
tgoris

Get out of town! Are you sure about that?

I thought all Gen 4 Maximas, 1995 thru 1999, had the VQ30DE. If the 95 GXE had a different motor, which one was it? It had to make 190 HP so the only other possibility would be the 1994 Maxima SE motor.

Me thinks you're pulling someone's (timing) chain;)

CD

Reply to
Codifus

No, you're right. It was '94 that you got the 12V motor if you got a GXE and the 24V VQ if you got an LE/SE. Seems like a long time ago now.

Reply to
JimV

ok if anyone can tell me what can be that problem pls... There are myriad reasons for car to die and not start. Dont jump to engine swap or chain repair; shop$ like to charge for that...

First diagnosis is for dead batt, alt belt, loose /shorted wires, dead relay(s) fuses, bad ign sw --->> IF starter has no noise even click as u start and/or no dash lights.

If engine rotates, cause list begins from leaking fuel tank and continues to south. As already said, if anyone was able to pinpoint the problem with given info he/she has 'some' image problems...

If youre given pricey diagnosis, get (even tow) it for second opinion.

Reply to
Wiikinki

"tgoris" wrote in news:1135262279.223528.237670 @g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Could be the starter spinning but not engaging. Or the fuel pump, and no starter. The timing belt could be broken. THe noise you hear could be the pistons moving without the camshaft. Would the pistons spin faster if the camshaft wasn't turning?? Is this an interferance engine??

I'm not sure of the timing belt diagnosis. Have a helper look at the engine as you try to start it. You should see some of the accessory belts turning. If not you have a starter problem. If the belts are moving, remove the oil filler cap and shine a light in there and see if you can observe the camshaft moving. If the accessory belts move, but not the camshaft, then I'll believe the timing belt diagnosis.

Reply to
Gordon reeder