Check Engine Light

Have a 97 SE. Runs even better than my second generation 89. Do the normal maintenance myself and have had since new. It has 99,300 miles. In DEC03, the Malfunction Indicator Light went on, when I brought it to Infiniti (where my other vehicle is serviced), they check all and replaced the bulb. It is on again, no performance issues, half tank of gas in the car, etc. Infiniti says they will check again. Could it be that it is nearing a mark (100,000 miles) and needs to be reset?

Reply to
Ann Apostolakis

Nope.

I suggest having the codes pulled by someone who won't be doing work on it. The local AutoZone will do it for free, takes about 5 min. Then you can do a little research into what the codes may indicate. I sense this dealer needs to be observed carefully if you intend to rely on them.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

What David said, with two comments. The light has nothing to do with mileage. The computer detected a failure in one or more systems, logged the error in memory, and turned the light on. They didn't replace the bulb, they just reset the error (without fixing the cause). The same problem that turned it on the first time is probably what turned it on this time.

-jim

Reply to
JimV

Thanks guys...appreciate the followup. Will be ordering my coils this week. Looks like I'm saving $400 and it'll include a tuneup.

Regards...Bob

Reply to
Bob Rasmussen

Hi,

are you talking about a maxima or infiniti?

Reply to
maximagxe90

An SE is a Maxima. Doesn't matter though - Infiniti has all the same codes.

Reply to
E. Meyer

Since you're not noticing any performance or gas mileage issues, it's probably a rear O2 sensor. As someone else said, take it to Autozone and let them pull the code for free. They give you a generic definition of what's wrong, but just in case, post the code here and we can give you a more Nissan-specific description.

Reply to
Dan

Hi,

the 89 is a 3rd gen max,

not a 2nd gen max

Reply to
maximagxe90

right, 1989 is 3rd gen...not 2nd...

As for the light, yes you can easily pull the codes either yourself from the ECU screw or a good mech.

I just got mine reset tonight...the code show that all is working fine now. If you need to check a code, let me know and I can find out for you in a flash...

Tedson

Reply to
Tedson

Here is how to do it yourself so you don't have to rely on someone else telling you! First............Go Here:

After that, then go here:
You will know how to pull the codes yourself and then determine what they mean......all without the help of anyone who may have an interest in what is wrong with your car so they can sell you something! you might want to bookmark those pages or copy the data incase the site goes down.....(always when you need them the most!)

Good Luck,

2Maximas.

P.S. If you need help just ask, you can email me at jssign at almand dot net.

Reply to
Bitsbucket