Check engine light

Hi All,

How do I turn off the check engine light? The car won't pass inspection with it on. I tried disconnecting the battery but nothing happened. I found some check engine code readers/erasers on EBay here

Has anyone tried similar one?

Thanks,

Reply to
Ferrari3

This is an easy one. Fix the problem that is causing the light to trip.

Reply to
njmodi

I bought a code reader off E bay last year fro about 20 bucks, its works fine, and resets the light after 4 cycles.

You need to disconnect the battery for at least an hour, maybe more to reset the computer that way.

Problem is, if you have a genuine code failure, reseting it will not let you pass the emmission test. They will see that the code was reset and that the ecu has not gone through the required number of verification cycles to have cleared the code on its own.

The good thing about the code reader is that when you do go in to get the fault fixed, you can tell the service writter that its throwing XYZ fault codes - trust me you get allot more respect that way,,,

Also, loose battery cables, or a failing battery can play havoc with the ECU and cause it to throw all sorts of erroneus codes.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
AZV14