check engine light saga part II - have error codes now

Hello, I have a 1998 Nissan Maxima SE with approximately 75,000 miles on it. The check engine light on my dashboard is illuminated. I took my car to a mechanic who ran a diagnostic test. The test said that the problem is a loose gas cap. The error codes are P0440 (EVAP Control System) and P1448 (Manufactuer Specific Code). I purchased a new gas cap and the mechanic reset the onboard diagnostics computer. A few days later the light came back on. I took the car back to the mechanic and he ran the diagnostics again with the same results. Clearly the problem is not a loose gas cap. I have read that the problem could be a small hole in one of the hoses for the fuel system. I would like to know if the fuel system hoses could be causing this problem and if so, approximately how much it would cost to fix this issue. Are there any other problems that could be causing this to happen?

Thanks for the help, Billy

Reply to
Billy Cormic

Hi,

I have a similar problem in my Nissan Altima 98. The MIL is continuously flashing. I checled my fuel cap. It's fine. Could you please suggest what did you do to repair the problem. One thing I checked in my car, when I opened the fuel tank there was no hissing sound.

I thought you can suggest me something.

Thanks, Bismoy

Reply to
bismoy

If there is no hiss when you open the cap, your cap is probably not fine. If the MIL is constantly flashing, that means whatever is wrong with it can destroy your cat.

Get the codes read.

Reply to
E. Meyer

Hi,

I replaced the cap. I took it to a mechanic. The error code was p1448 and p0440. The mechanic reset the code saying it's the bad cap. But again after few days the light came up. I guess there must be something else. I still feel the hiss in the fuel tank is not enough.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Reply to
bismoy