Checking Prices regading recent 1998 Maxima repair

Hi all,

Can someone just verify for me that the below repair cost is comperable to what they are used to? Just checking the mechanic's honesty here.

1998 Maxima Problem: Svc Engine Light came on.

Part replaced: Oxygen Sensor

Part cost: 149.96 Labor: 2(hr) = 110

Total cost = $282.71 (includes tax)

Sounds like an awful lot (to me) to replace an O2 sensor. Two hours labor??

Reply to
Jeff

I agree. 2 hours is too much. Unless they changed all three sensors. check sensors pricing on

Ranges from 55$ to 80$ each

Reply to
Daniel

Was this including diagnosing? The public doesn't want to even think about the cost of diagnosic equipment or the training to use it. Even a basic pro level scan tool is $3000-$4000 and are only good for a couple of years before $400-500 has to be spent on software upgrades (if avalible). Then they change the "interface" and new tools must be bought. We have 2 different scan tools, a CO machine and a lab scope (plus many other piece of test gear). Many times the "codes" that come out point to the wrong part and the results must be read knowing this to figure out the real problem. Most of the time replacing the part is the easiest part of the job!

And for retail pricing, that sounds about right on the sensor. Yes you can buy them online (or somewhere like autozone) cheaper but you ARE buying retail at a repair shop and if you have a problem later with the part, they will have to warranty the part AND the labor where if you bought it wholesale you'd pay the labor again and most wholesale parts store have a "no refund/replacement" policy on electronics.

I guess what I'm saying is IF you had a scanner (and knew how to use it..), the tools needed to replace the sensor without rounding it off, bought the sensor at an aftermarket store then you could do it yourself for under $100...

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
Jeff

Yes, this including diagnosis. I'm not really arguing the price, I payed it, and I'm glad the problem is fixed. It's just been a while since I replaced an O2 sensor, and I don't remember it being as much as this, especially the 2hr labor, that's all.

I don't doubt that machinery costs big $$$.

Thanks for the info.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Well they probably just lumped the diagnosis and "labor" into one figure. If it's fixed, you got out pretty cheap IMHO!

Reply to
Steve

May be you still live on 10 or 20 years ago ! All those U.S. made that stuff Co. are out of businese ! Why ? That what GM or Ford need those machines !. Oxgen sensor close to expire its Bush's Patent, after that price may come down like a rock. say $10 or $20 buck a piece. Any body help, give a exact date may help everybody !

Reply to
Care2gln

YOU ARE NUTS and totally incoherent.

Reply to
Brian

Reply to
JimV

It's that room of monkeys trying to write the works of Shakespeare. Give them time :)

Reply to
David Geesaman