Cleaning Mass Air Flow Sensor in 2K Maxima

Hi all,

I cleaned my Mass Air Flow sensor yesterday (sprayed the hell out of the 2 small metal pins with an electrical cleaner) and today, the engine rev has been erratic. In idle, it died several times as the rev went down. I was wondering if anyone has experience cleaning their mass air flow sensors and I would certainly appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks.

Reply to
muakies

Not sure what led you to try clean the MAF sensor, but your symptoms sound like you've killed it.

It might be time to shop around for a new MAF.

Cheers, Nirav

96 Max GLE, 133k
Reply to
njmodi

My MAF sensor went out a couple of years ago and was replaced on a

100,000 warranty I put on my 2000 GLE. Mine was pre-ignition sparking like crazy. It was horrible. After replacing the sensor, the problem went away.

Later, my wifes 2000 GLE (yes we have two) had the immobilizer go out. I thought it might be the sensor so I replaced hers. That didn't solve the problem with not starting but after replacing the MAF meter, her car ran a heckva lot better.

For the 2000 Maxima, you can get a factory sensor for $89. Here is the place to get it. It's just down the street from me so it's easy but you can mail order it from them too.

Good luck.

Chuckindallas

...the 2 small metal pins ... What do u mean by 'pins'?

The cleanup should be on components in the airflow (behind the meshes) as MAF has been dismantled. The heater element & sensor do oxidize, and collect dust, degrading component performance. Oxidized = lowered performance heating will result in lean (pwr loss) injection... Electronic cleaner may make a big difference on the heater efficiency. My cleanup of the over 10yr old, 85k, MAF resulted in significant total pwr increase.

Cleaned 3gen MAF resistor (in front): see

If you re-installed MAF and its not fitting correctly; even very small leak will cause idle fluctuation. Reseat, retighten all tubings... Also electrical connectors should be cleaned, you may also add contact di-electric grease on contact pins.

Measure your MAF output voltage, idle should be steady 1.2 -

1.8V... see FSM page EC-169. You may find that page by clicking via 'top left Favorite Links' - see below.

The MAF component characteristics have now changed. This may be a situation where ECU settins have to be reset (batt off over 30min or via tester). After reset, there is a certain 'training' period where ECU optimizes for swapped components (as they always are slightly different). Read the FSM for this lengthy issue...

Reply to
Wiikinki

Even if the symptoms sound as if you had damaged the sensor, i do not think that the procedure itself would be enough to cause damage.

Did the erratic idle start right after the cleaning yesterday? How long has the engine run since the cleaning? Could it be that the computer is still adapting to the new sensor readings?

Is your cleaner one of those that leaves an oily residue? That could be your problem.

I have cleaned mine using acetone, which would be worse because it disolves lots of glues and plastics. I cleaned it using a cotton swab damp in acetone and a steady delicate touch.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
AS

Yeah the erratic idle started after the cleaning. If its the ECU, how long does it take to adapt to the new sensor readings? After cleaning, its been driven for about 20 miles at most since I live real close to my workplace.

I did use an electrical cleaner from O'Rilley's and I don't think it leaves a residue.

Thanks, Lindon

Reply to
muakies

Yeah the erratic idle started after the cleaning. If its the ECU, how long does it take to adapt to the new sensor readings? After cleaning, its been driven for about 20 miles at most since I live real close to my workplace.

I did use an electrical cleaner from O'Rilley's and I don't think it leaves a residue.

Thanks

Reply to
muakies

... how long does it take to adapt to the new sensor readings? ... My guess is that idle should be ok immediately, thus I'd suspect minuscle leak. Check & read the FSM page uself via the mentioned link: there is an instruction chart for "20min drive" using various speeds/rpm's. (My -93 ECU&MAF did not need any driving according the FSM, it must be different)

Reply to
Wiikinki

Thanks to everyone for their help. I replaced the MAF with a new one and it works perfectly now. Thanks again!

Reply to
muakies

If it was a bad seating/leak -problem, the old one would possibly also work after reseat ... did u try it?

Reply to
Wiikinki