Climate control pbls. on 2000 GLE

For the longest time the automatic climate control on my 2000 GLE wouldn't work as far as heat was concerned: it would only blow heat when I would set it at 80 or so (in which case the car would get way too hot!) Then I had some unrelated work done (coolant flush, fuel injection, and replaced O2 sensor) and the heat started working. Recently, I got an SES light for the ignition coils--with further investigation, all 6 needed replacing. Soon afterwards the heat stopped working (only blowing very cold air). So I DIY replaced all 6 ignition coils, along w/ the spark plugs. The car runs a little better, but the heat didn't return. Then, randomly and hours later, the heat started working again! So things are fine, but I'm concerned that it will stop working again any minute. Someone told me it might be the heating core. Thoughts anyone? Thanks, Omar

Reply to
Omsie

Heat comes from hot coolant from the engine circulating through the heater core. It has nothing to do with ignition coils. If you have occasional heat, some possible causes include air bubbles in the coolant, low coolant level in the radiator, a clogged heater core, malfunctioning heater controls, a weak water pump, bad thermostat, etc.

Basically look at reasons why the coolant is not getting heated by the engine (bad thermostat) or reasons why it is not circulating through the heater core (obstructions, air bubbles, pump, etc.).

Does the engine temperature gauge show normal operating temperature?

Reply to
E Meyer

...air bubbles, pump, etc.)... 'Sounds' like the bleeding (after coolant fillup) has not been done properly. Do bleed the system before it harms also engine heads (bubble/spot/heat related warp). Make sure its done properly.

On some engines its very hard to get all bubbles out. There, drivin over 2k rpm for

60min WITH some small hose connector loosened, dripping, will collect all bubbles out.

It may also be the main water valve ctrlvacuum leak, althoug not very probable. These systems change very little from model to model, check out. Get detail 'info' at top left 'Favorite Links'

...and page8

Reply to
Wiikinki