Coil on plug question

I've noticed a number of posts about the 'infamous coil problem' with the Maxima. I just picked up a '95 with 197k miles that was misfiring on one cylinder. I found that the spark was arcing through the insulator tube to ground. Nissan, and most auto parts stores only carry the complete coil assembly, but all I need is the 'tube'. I wrapped it in electrical tape and the car runs perfect, even the CEL went out. I think I found what I am looking for at NAPA:Beck Arnley Spark Plug Tube Seal BA0396418. The local store ordered it for me yesterday, so I'll post with my results when it comes in. I'm hoping for a box of 6! I'm wondering how many coils have been replaced that didn't need to be?

Reply to
gforce

I would still replace the entire coil. Do you think your setup would last 100s of thousands of miles? The NDIS system, when the coils are not defective, is completely mainteneance free. The only thing you would ever have to replace is the spark plugs.

CD

Reply to
codifus

In this case, the coil is 100% operational, just the spark is not making it to the plug. I had the exact same thing happen on a quad4 in a Pontiac. CEL, hesitation, etc. less than $10 to replace the 4 spring connections and insulators instead of the coil pack assembly. For the maxima, it's $15 for the insulators for what should be a pack of

  1. I can't see spending -0 on a new coil assembly unless I have to. I'd much rather preventatively change all 6 insulators. Nissan may call the ignition system maintenance free, but there is essentially still spark plug wires in there that will wear out. Since Nissan doesn't list them as a separate part, they consider it an electrical failure of the coil.
Reply to
gforce

Yeah, I can see that mine are beginning to show signs of age. I'm thinking of replacing the wires in the next year or two.

Reply to
filesiteguy

The parts came in yesterday, but were not what I was looking for... They appear to be the seals under the valve cover for the spark plug 'tubes' - damn! Oh well... the electrical tape will have to do a little longer. I know it'll be easier just to go buy a coil assembly, but it's the principal of the thing now. Since I got the car for free (previous owneer was told the motor had low compression), I'm seeing just how cheaply I can fix everything on the car. So far, I have a total of just over $1 (bulbs) invested.

Reply to
gforce