CV Boots

The outboard CV boots on my 96 Max are both torn--not sure for how long.

Is there a good split boot replacement, or should I think about pulling the axles and putting on regular boots? How tough a job is this? And how likely is it that the joints have been damaged?

If I decide to have it done, how much should I expect to pay (in Oakland, CA)?

Reply to
David Barron

Brian

There's a good chance your joints are ok. You can do it one of two ways: Remove the old axles and replace w/ reman'd from local parts house ~$120.00 OR you can remove the axles, remove the cv jts, clean and inspect and install new rubber boots ~$50-60 (do the inners and outers while yer at it). Replacing w/ reman'd axles will save you ~2 hrs. and a big greasy mess but you still have the old joints. If your joints are really "sloppy" (lots of movement in the joint assembly) after you remove them, they probably should be replaced if you're gonna keep the car. It's a basic time vs. money decision. I estimate having it done at a shop will cost you an extra ~$200 for labor. I don't think anyone here will recommend the split boot as it has a very limited lifetime.

Chris

90 & 94 GXE's (replaced axles on both)
Reply to
Chris H

Yes, I agree. Price points are everything to a major retailer. "What can you give me 30,000 of that will sell for $59?"

And when I had my boots replaced in 1995 at the Acura dealer, they nicked me for $300 (just for boots). They weren't even split yet, so how long did the mechanic really spend cleaning them out. (I was a little more stupid then than I am now.)

So, $160 looks pretty good to me.

JM

Reply to
JM

Thanks, guys. I called a couple of shops and got similar prices, so I may just have them do it. I don't really have time right now to spend crawling around underneath figuring this one out, and I don't want to wait too long--so far, I've gotten no noises, so maybe the axles are still OK.

Reply to
David Barron

You didn't ask, but since you're in Oakland, I'm going to recommend an excellent (and honest) mechanic in San Leandro. Call Terry at Auto Doctor (510) 351-2687. Best mechanic I've ever known. Steve Green

Reply to
Steve Green

I had my the axles replaced on my 1993 GXE Maxima because both outer CV boots were completely torn open for an unknown period of time. I never recalled hearing any noises when turning, but I noticed two months ago my highway fuel economy tanked. I was used to getting from

28 to 30 mpg, but lately it dropped to the 22 - 24 mpg range. It seemed that, as time passed, I would have to apply more and more gas to achieve the same acceleration.

Anyway, a mechanic changed the axles at $90 each and charged $144 labor. Although the labor seemed a little high, it's a far cry from the $500 someone qouted for axle replacements.

Anyway, the car steering is smoother, and the acceleration feels smoother and sounds better. I'll have to keep my fingers crossed to see if the fuel economy improves. I wonder, though, if there will be any lasting effects to the engine and transmission.

Reply to
Ryan