ECU update question

Hi Folks,

Hope someone can clarify this for me. I have a 2000 SE with 75K on it. I've been reading a bit over on maxima.org and it's been mentioned that there is a software upgrade available for the ECU. I also seem to recall it was mentioned that this upgrade is covered under the 8/80 warranty becuase it relates to emissions. Is this correct? If so, would the dealer have done this as part of a major service or does the owner have to ask for it specifically? Thinking the latter is more likely, what do I ask for? Is there a related TSB?

When/if I get this done I'm also considering advancing the timing to 17 degrees as I always burn 93 octane fuel and I understand the 2 degree advancement improves efficiency. Can anyone provide any feedback regarding this adjustment?

Thanks in advance,

Brad

Reply to
Naxray

any aftermarket ECU, which Maxima.org is usually talking about, will void your warranty.

There may be a TSB, technical service bulletin in which the ECU was replaced for some reason. Check with Nissan for that.

CD

Reply to
Codifus

Thanks CD - I was referring to upgraded software for the Nissan OEM ECU...I have read that some have had their ECU's flashed with "the upgraded software" at the dealer.

Or I could just be really confused... ;^)

Reply to
Naxray

Naxray - you are not going crazy....

There is an ECU update (infact there maybe several) available for some

5th Gens. I was just discussing this recently with NissTech, you might be able to find our discussion if you search the groups.

The gist of it was that the update most likely relaxes the criteria that are used to set the CEL based on out-of-spec readings from O2 sensors (for example). If its a TSB, it's not a warranty covered item, but you can call your local dealer and ask if your vechile is included in the TSB (or dig out the TSB and check yourself).

Cheers, Nirav

96 Max GLE, 122k

Note: I know there was a ECU update early on in the 5th Gen's cycle for a fuel-cut related issues that affected 5-spds. This is seperate from the update you are interested in.

Reply to
njmodi

There is a TSB, but it only applies to California emissions vehicles (check the decal under the hood of your car), your MIL("service engine soon")light is on, and your ECU is reporting the 3-way catalyst error (P0420). If that's the case, you can get it covered under the 8/80 warranty -- if you argue enough. But if the light isn't on or your car isn't Cali emissions spec, you're out of luck.

Reply to
Dan

This answer is the correct one.

Nissan has numerous ECM software updates for a number of vehicles, but just because there is new software does not mean you need it. The ECM software is designed to address a specific problem .

The main thing to remember Nexray is this ... If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Reply to
NissTech

Thanks to all for the info!

Reply to