Evaporated Emissions System for 97 Maxima

I have a 97 Maxima GLE with 135,000 miles on it and I failed inspection b/c the evaporated emissions system no longer works. It is going to cost about $1,000 to fix. Any input on whether it should get done or not? Or just trade up to a new Maxima.?

-Anthony Morano

Reply to
antmorano

Consider having the 120,000 mile service done instead. New fuel injectors, fuel filter, clean delivery system, etc. I also changed over to a K&N air filter. I had this stuff done to my car recently (140,000 miles) and it's young again (honest). If you really are looking for a new car, why not do that instead? I'm investing in a new car for my wife, and keeping my fast, young '96 Maxima.

Cormagh.

Reply to
Cormagh

This is not a major problem. The evap system is the system that controls feul vapors from escaping from the tank. It could simply be a rusted valve. Under the left rear wheel below the tank are some of the gadgets that are part of the system. Give them a good cleaning. When I had an evap problem, thoses valves had a bunch of leaves stuck in them.

What does the check engine light say? Usually it tells you which part of the evap system is failing.

CD

Reply to
Codifus