First time Maxima owner with some questions

I recently bought a 2003 Maxima (A33 model) with the VQ30DE engine. It has done 96,000km (60,000 miles). I have a few questions.

  1. The owner's manual calls for spark plug replacement at 90,000km. Well, my Maxima has done 96,000km so I pulled out one spark plug to check its condition. The gap is still the same as a new one (1.1mm) and the platinum tips on the centre and group electrodes are still there. Is there any point in replacing the plugs?

  1. The gas pedal is a little stiff, which makes it difficult to smoothly open the throttle when I want to take off slowly. I thought perhaps the throttle body needed cleaning, but when I operate the butterfly valve by hand it's as smooth as silk. I tried pulling the throttle cable from the driver's side of the firewall and it's a wee bit stiff, so does that mean the problem is with the cable itself?

  2. My dashboard has a really annoying creak/rattle from around the driver's side air vent. The rest of the car is so quiet and refined that this rattle really gets on my nerves. I thought I would pull out the plastic trim around the air vent and see if I could fix the rattle, but I can't figure out how to remove the trim from the dash. Here is a link to a photo of the air vent:

I successfully removed the trim below the air vent that contains the electric mirror controls, but no matter how hard I pulled I couldn't remove the large piece of plastic that contains the air vent.

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

Reply to
g00g1eme

I wouldn't change the plugs yet. When you do, use only NGKs. The stiff throttle is most likely a throttle body that needs to be cleaned. Get a can of throttle body cleaner (NOT carb cleaner), a toothbrush, and have at it. Can't help with the rattle.

-jim

Reply to
JimV

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1140823394.048720.290910 @e56g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

Might be the gas pedal mounting arangment under the dash. May need a bit of grease on the pivot. The cable could be a bit stiff too. You can try to disconnect the end at the throttle body and drop a few drips of oil down the sleave. Work it a bit to distribute the oil. Then give some time to work it's way down the cable.

This is rare. Check the engine grounding strap. Make sure it has a good electrical connection to the chassis and back to the battery. I once say where a loose strap caused the throttle cable to become the ground path from the engine. Sparking between the cable and the sheathing caused the cable to pit and burn, causing it to stick. But that's rare.

Reply to
Gordon reeder
  1. As said, if idle & mpg is fine, dont change. Still looks do fail... (maybe already changed?)

  1. Theres no gas pedal wire, its all electronics: pedal, motor controlled Throttle... As already stated, maybe pedal assy needs lubrication. Maybe pedal resistor worn? Try some spray lubricant which dont affecct electronics, CRC or whatever.

On some vehicles (not maxima) the car is 'born' with a 'pedal like that'. Especially some French cars. Terriblese...

Copypaste from page 470; FSM/Engine Ctrl System. "Electric Throttle Control Actuator consists of throttle control motor, throttle position sensor, etc. The throttle control motor is operated by the ECM and it opens and closes the throttle valve. The throttle position sensor detects the throttle valve position, and the opening and closing speed of the throttle valve and feeds the voltage signals to the ECM. The ECM judges the current opening angle of the throttle valve from these signals and the ECM controls the throttle control motor to make the throttle valve opening angle properly in response to driving condition. ..." for more clic clic clic via 'Favorite Links' below.

  1. Depends on sound, if its a creack, just lube?
Reply to
Wiikinki
[....I once say where a loose strap caused the throttle cable to become the ground path from the engine. Sparking between the cable and the sheathing caused the cable to pit and burn, causing it to stick. But that's rare. Seen also that, Been there: in the middle, on of a big frozen Lake... How to start as wire smolders? Ground the engine with a big wrench, Get a real sparkling startup...
Reply to
Wiikinki

Interesting. In the US, the 2003 Maxima came with the VQ35DE engine only. Where are you from?

I would change the plugs anyway just for re-assurance. With today's computer managed cars, the computer can compensate greatly for a very tired plug, still running the engine smoothly etc, but gas mileage will be poor and other negative factors.

For the gas pedal issue, I had a similar problem in my Sentra. The screw the prevents the butterfly valve in the throttle body from closing completely was completely gone. Take off from stand still was always abrupt. I replaced the screw and all was well again.

For the air vent rattle, I had a rattle in my 98 Maxima which I was convinced was something inside the dash. Oddly enough it turned out to be the heat shield covering the catalytic converter. Check that.

Hope this helps

CD

Reply to
Codifus

... Where are you from...Hope this helps

- Sorry. No hope no hlp on gas pedal issue: As said, there IS NO throttle wire...

- the RH drive pic suggests NZ, GB, Aussie. (Needs to open whole dash to acces tubing)

Reply to
Wiikinki

I'm from New Zealand. We didn't get the VQ35DE in the A33 Maxima.

The Maxima throttle body doesn't have the screw that your Sentra had. It has an IAC (Idle Air Control) valve, or whatever Nissan calls it.

The creak/rattle is definitely the air vent trim because when I apply pressure to it the noise stops.

Reply to
g00g1eme

This isn't a U.S. spec Maxima. It DOES have a throttle cable. The sticky throttle doesn't appear to be caused by the throttle body or the gas pedal, because if I operate the butterfly valve by hand it's perfectly smooth and if I pull the end of the throttle cable from behind the firewall in the driver's footwell it feels stiff.

There's also one other fault I forgot to mention: When hitting a large bump (like a speed bump or steep driveway entrance) there's a faint clunk from the right-front suspension area. It sounds very minor at this stage.

Reply to
g00g1eme

RE: Worn plugs and poor gas mileage.

I'm not exactly sure what economy I should be getting from the Maxima. Most of the time I don't carry any passengers and I drive with a reasonably light foot. The figures I've got so far are 19.5 miles per gallon stop/start city driving and 29.5 miles per gallon on a highway trip.

Reply to
g00g1eme

Ummm, yes it does help. He has a VQ30DE engine. Actually, in the A33, it should really be the VQ30DE-K. Anyhow, the VQ30 series of motors do not have eletronic throttles, and the VQ35DE series do.

I don't think Nissan would spend alot of energy converting a motor they will retire (the VQ30DE) in converting it to drive-by wire technology. That is pretty much what in fact has happened. Drive by wre technology is one of those things that the the engine pretty much has to be born with, not added later.

CD

Reply to
Codifus

start as wire smolders? Ground the engine with a big wrench, Get a real sparkling startup...

You, my dear sir, have a very interesting life:)

CD

Reply to
Codifus

... life:) Hmm wired error...yes info I referred to was VQ35DE

MPG values given sound typical to me: My guess in the A/T there is (?) direct gearlock. To engage, this feature needs full tranny warmup - which takes up to 20minute drive. Then on steady speed, rpm drops about 300. This means long trip mpg may be 10% less. (My 3gen best, once in a lifetime mpg, was 30mpg.)

Life: Continuous 4wheel sideway-slide 100kmh (60mph) on a vast snowy 'ice desert' is worth it. (cut knuckles). Totalitarialism cant catch ya there... take care. Eventually hammer&sickle globall cartoon warmup will freeze all Scandinavian fun.

Wiikinki