headlight problem

Sometimes the driver side headlight on my 92 Max will not come on. When this happens, the hi-beam light on the dash illuminates and stays on whether you select hi or low beams. I've tried all different operating modes (eg. turn on lights, then start car, etc.) No difference. I replaced the bulb. No change. Any thoughts before I head off to the dealer?

EA

Reply to
ezalpha

Bad ground at the headlight

Reply to
Jim

This seems like a classic case of the missing ground wire. When you power the headlight, current runs from the switch to the light bulb, then to ground. This is true for either the high beam or the low beam. With a missing (or loose) ground wire, the voltage travels to the low beam bulb and through the bulb's filament and back through the high beam's filament and powers the high beam lamp in the dash. That's my story and I'm stickin to it.

Good luck.

Reply to
Robert Tremblay

Concur with the loose ground/connection. Source when I had the identical problem was a damaged connector from too much force exerted on the connector during a headlight replacement. Every other bump turned the lamp off and the high beam indicator on.

In my case the connector was repairable.

Best of luck... Mike

Reply to
Mike

Very likely the headlight switch is bad. Not an uncommon occurrance on older Nissans.

Reply to
Harry Balls