Headlights on makes the dasboard go dark

I have a Maxima 1999. When I turn on the headlights, my dashboard lights and LEDs go dark. I am not sure why.

Weak battery? Blown fuse?

Tony Cortese

-- Send camera phone photos straight to your online photo album plus a loaded web hosting package for only $4.95/month - No other Fees

Tony Cortese

It wouldn't hurt to clean all the grounds you can find, particularly the ones connecting to the headlight housings.

I would have the battery and alternator checked, just to be safe. AutoZone will do it for free if you don't have the tools.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

There is an "instrument brightness control switch"

Reply to
Sang Hoon Joo

Reply to
E. Meyer

Its not a design feature is it? My missus has got a FIAT that does the same thing - turn the ignition on and all the panels and illuminated switches light up - turn on the headlights and said panels and illuminated switches dim a bit. I think the logic behind it it that if its dark enough to need lights you don't want your dashboard glaring you in the face and blinding your night vision.

Nige

18lyzn3jizrpq.15lno8w4hkmzb$. snipped-for-privacy@40tude.net,
Reply to
Nige