Hints on changing plugs

My '98 Maxima (32k miles) is due a change of plugs. It still has the originals that it came from the factory with. Any hints on plug removal when plugs have been in the heads for 6 years? I don't want to damage the heads.

Thanks in advance..

Reply to
Microstar

Microstar wrote in news:406DA15F.9050704 @NOSPAMeurope.com:

Aren't the plugs good for 60k?

Reply to
Larry

Its not due yet. The platinum plugs stay in there for 60,000 miles. Its not a time or mileage thing, just mileage.

Reply to
E. Meyer

Yet, after 6 years, even if the plugs are still good, it is wise to remove the plugs, apply antiseize on the threads, and reinstall them, with the specified torque range 14 - 22 ft lbs, no more.

They should come out easily without special tricks. If you feel too much resistance, spray some penetrating oil on them, (engine cold) and let it work for a few minutes.

Daniel

Reply to
Daniel

If they start to feel tight when removing, start working them back and forth

-don't- just keep wrenching them out. That's how ham fists rip the threads out of a head. If they keep acting stuborn, try warming the engine and try again after applying something like PB blaster or rust buster type penetrant. I bet they'll just screw right out given the thread coating and rolled threads NGK uses on their plugs.

And yes I'd go ahead and replace the plugs, it's not worth the time removing them to just reinstall them.

Reply to
Steve T

Smart man. I think a $30,000 car is worth spending less than $100 in spark plugs for!

Reply to
Steve T

I think 6 years of use should be enough for the plugs - think of all that thermal cycling (I do a lot of short trips). I figure if I leave them a lot longer then they might sieze in the heads. They are a critical component and not expensive to replace.

Reply to
Microstar