How to change Clutch Slave Cylinder - 97 Maxima

Hello All, I got into my Max this evening and the clutch petal went straight to the floor. No pressure at all. It didn't even pop back up. I popped the hood and the Clutch Master Cylinder was EMPTY. There was fluid on the ground under the passenger side. I was freaked. I ran to the auto parts store in the company car, got some fluid, and put it in. The petal regained a little pressure. It was enough to limp it home. I called my local trusted trans shop. They said it sound like the slave cylinder went out. He also said that it's a fairly simple do-it-yourself type fix. I then called my local part houses and they have them for around 30 - 40 dollars.

Is there a step by step online on how to change these units, etc?

I have to say I'm pretty freaked right now because I really need this car to be working before the weekend. (Family function, etc)

Thanks, Wayne K.

Reply to
Wayne K.

Buy a manual. For most things, I prefer Haynes, they run about $15. A must for any DIYer.

-mike

Wayne K. wrote:

Reply to
mike w

No book needed. This is how it's done on a 93 so yours should be similar.

1 - Fill reservoir with fluid. 2 - Loosen hose on slave - don't disconnect. 3 - Remove 2 bolts holding unit to tranny. 4 - Remove hose & thread to replacement slave - you'll get some fluid leak but not enough to drain res so much that youll need to bleed system 5 - Bolt back to tranny 6 - Loosen bleeder screw to remove any trapped air 7 - Tighten bleeder 8 - Top off fluid

With everything at hand it's a 10 minute job.

Brake fluid is hydroscopic which means it will absorb moisture. Might consider leaving the bleeder open if existing fluid is a dark and nasty looking and SLOWLY pour in fresh as the old nears empty. Keep up with the level on fluid exchange or you wil need to bleed the system.

Reply to
AJFoyt