How to recognize a bad power steering pump?

As subject says. 97 SE 140k.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

Noisy or loss of boost. But loss of boost isn't nesessarily the pump.

-jim

Reply to
JimV

Right now I have noisy (not sure if it's the PSP or Idler pulley), leakage at the hp pump, very active steering, and loss of fuel economy (missing about 4mpg at highway speeds only).

I guess I could try removing the PSP belt for a week and see how it runs.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

So I have to ask,

What makes you think the P/S pump is bad?

Noise ?

Loss of assist ?

Reply to
NissTech

Right now I have noise (not sure if it's the PSP or Idler pulley),

leakage at the hp pump hose, very active steering, and loss of fuel economy

(missing about 4mpg at highway speeds only). These probably aren't related, but if they were it could explain a lot.

I guess I could try removing the PSP belt and see how it runs for a bit.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

If it whines like Chewbacca from Star wars, it may just need to have the air bled out of the system.

CD

Reply to
Codifus

Nope, I've heard that kind of groaning before. (Not just on Star Wars).

This sounds like a dying bearing - it's a soft whine/whirring sound that gets louder/higher in pitch as the engine revs. Hard or impossible to hear at idle or low rpms.

I was thinking that if accessory pumps like this are supposed to shut off at higher rpm and speed (like the psp should), but it doesn't, it could chew up highway fuel economy.

Anyway, I'm hitting the local junkyard Friday for a new muffler/resonator, and I might pick up a psp also.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

Is your car a manual or auto? If it's a manual, when the throw out bearing goes bad, the symptoms are just like what you describe.

CD

Reply to
Codifus

It's a manual. The noise is coming from the passenger side, no doubt, regardless of clutch engagement. As well, the t/o was replaced 5k ago when I replaced my clutch.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

Ok Dave,

The first thing I would do is repair the leak then continue the diagnosis needed.

pay close attention to the low pressure/return side of the system , not all leaks happen on the high pressure side.

Low fluid level in the P/S system will cause the pump to make noise.Hopefully it was not run dry for too long as damage to the pump my have occurred.

Reply to
NissTech

Thanks, that was my original direction. However, 2 shops have looked at the leak, declared "the hose is fine, just tightened the clamp".

Will do - I had concluded it was the high pressure side since it connects higher and has fluid on it.

PS fluid level has never been a problem, ever. No sign of pump groan or fluid loss. The noise I get is a constant whine like a bearing - could be any of the accessory pullies. Once I get the new wiring harness into my RX-7, I'll investigate this issue more.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman