"idiot lights" on 95 Maxima

Hoping this is enough info...my daughter was driving a 95 Maxima (with approximately 60k miles) during a rainstorm (the aftermath of hurricane Bonnie) in NY, and went through some fairly deep puddles. Three lights came on - brake, engine and gas - but the car didn't stall. She pulled off to the side of the road, and shut the engine. The car started up again without the lights on, and has not had the problem since, although she only drove it the 60 miles back home the following day. The belts seem tight. The fluid levels are okay. It has been started a couple of times since then with no problem, but hasn't been driven. Can anyone give me some insight as to what happened? Did this set a code in the computer? My husband's computer does not seem to hook up to this car, so he can't check it out.

I will get more info if necessary.

TIA.

Suzanne

Reply to
Suzanne Barnum

Pull the computer codes manually - it is controlled by a screw on the ECU. Accessed by removing the plastic panel to the right of the accelerator pedal. If no codes show up I wouldn't worry about it. Somehow the water might have disturbed some engine sensors briefly.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

The alternator got went and stopped working temporarily. The other lighs came on because their systems detected the low voltage. It should be fine, just tell her to stay out of deep puddles.

Reply to
JimV