Infiniti I30 1997 Timing belt?

I have a 1997 Infiniti I30 with 90,000 miles on it. In recent days it has developed a whining sound in the engine. The sound increases in volume and pitch along with rpm (rev the engine and the sound gets louder with higher pitch). Makes the same sound whether or not the car is in gear. The serpentine belt was replaced 20,000 miles ago. The car runs fine with no loss of power. Does this sound like a timing belt issue?

Before I take the car to the dealer (who always tries to upsell me a litany of things) I thought I'd ask this group if they had any thoughts on the matter.

Thanks.

Reply to
StevenA875

==== Sounds like and alternator bearing going bad to me.

Reply to
Kybona

that engine has a timing chain...

Reply to
gary

There is also a belt tensioner pulley that could account for this. Similar symptom if the bearing in it goes bad (but lots cheaper to replace). Any chance the belts were over-tensioned at that last replacement?

Reply to
E Meyer

I had the same problem in my Sentra. Constant whining noise in the engine in neutral or in gear. I did some investigating and concluded it was pulley next to my alternator. I took the car to my mechanic to fix an oil leak, he checked the pulley and said it was fine. He also said the belts I put on had a very bad reputation. Those belts had less than

10,000 miles on them. He replaced the belts and the noise was GONE.

CD

Reply to
codifus

I guess that's possible. But it has taken me three years to put 20,000 miles on the car. I'll have it looked into.

Thanks.

Reply to
StevenA875 via CarKB.com

I'll try that, as it seems to be the least expensive option at the moment. Thank you for the insight. I'll let you now what ultimately happens.

Kind regards,

StevenA875 via CarKB.com