Inhibitor Relay NOT the Problem

Hello all,

I have a 1987 Maxima that will not start. I turn the ignition on and ALL accessories including headlights work. I think I'm even hearing the fuel pump run. It WILL immediately start if I disconnect the Inhibitor relay and connect a jumper across the "load" terminals (larger pair label "5 3"). Even though the relay is labeled "12V" I detect (digital volt-ohm meter) only about 0.03 volts. I just bought a new Inhibitor Relay and installed it. Not the problem - the car will not start. I have also removed the switch at the clutch pedal and check it. With plunger depressed the switch circuit is open - with plunger extended, the switch circuit is closed.

I have a Chilton's manual with schematic but it is hard for me to do much with it other than identify the labeled components.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Randy Jones

Well since we all survived and very well for many years without all the devices to protect us from our own stupidity, you could just jumper the relay and forget about if all works well otherwise...

Sometimes I think all the interlocking "protection" from stupidity is carried too far.

Randy J> Hello all,

Reply to
max

you have verified that the "switch" portion of the relay is and it's associated wiring is ok.

the next thing to do is diagnose the "coil" portion

The relay should have power in 2 places terminal 1 and 3 terminal 1 is the on the input side of the coil, as basic electrical theory tells us , a DC circuit needs 2 things to do it job, power and ground, terminal 2 of the relay socket is the ground side of the relay. so something on the ground side of the relay is needed to complete the path to ground .so if terminal 3 of the relay gets its ground, the switch portion of the relay closes and the starter engages Terminal 3 as you know is the input power source to the switch side of the relay.terminal 5 is the component side

if the car is a manual transmission, the ground for the coil side of the relay cones from a switch on the clutch pedal

if the car is an automatic , the ground comes from an inhibitor switch located on the transmission

Reply to
NissTech

Pedal "UP" switch is for the cruise control cutoff I believe. I've "fixed" the pedal down switch with a paper clip jumper as I was told the clutch exerts a side load on the crankshaft thrust bearing at start-up accelerating wear on a cold start. CR '90 240SX Hatchback

Reply to
Cosmic Ray