Is $500 too much to replace EVAP canister and vent control valve?

I have a 1998 Maxima GLE with 112K miles. My 'Check Engine Soon' light came on recently, and when I took it to the Nissan dealer, it was advised that I had to have the EVAP Canister and Vent Control Valve replaced, as well as the Knock Sensor. Each repair would cost $500. Does this seem reasonable, or should I get another opinion?

Reply to
Glenn Wohl

- I installed 5c resistor for KS. Its ok with some limitations like hi octane gas, see below for reference

- For other parts I'd call local junkyards (& clic-read links on page below), items should come 1/10 price.

- first check/correct vacuum leaks - cracked brittled rubberhose ends.

- instead of

1500$ I'd settle for DIY 100$. If u can shell 1500 to stealership, why drive an 8yr ol car?

5c KS .5MOhm bypass; clic on

Wiikinki

Hi I had to replace valvle and canister. Dealer wanted $600 for it, i figured that's too much and did it myself. It took me almost weekend but knowing what to do can take no more than

2 hours. valve cost $120 and canister $180 in my area. D.
Reply to
Djavdet